Local

North Carolina man allegedly shot Kansas City man after dominoes game: Court documents

Gavel Photo by Getty Images This is a stock image downloaded from Getty Images. It is a Royalty Free image.
Gavel Photo by Getty Images This is a stock image downloaded from Getty Images. It is a Royalty Free image.

A North Carolina man has been charged with murder after allegedly shooting and killing a Kansas City man during a game of dominoes earlier this month.

Malik Johnson, 25, was charged Tuesday with second-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of 27-year-old Marcus Oldham, according to Jackson County court records.

Johnson allegedly shot Oldham the evening of Nov. 9 in a home near Spring Valley Park, according to Kansas City police. Officers responded to the 2700 block of Garfield Avenue, where they discovered Oldham sitting at the dining room table with a head wound, according to court documents. Johnson was found standing outside.

Fire department personnel entered the house next and pronounced Oldham dead, according to court records.

Johnson, who is based in North Carolina, had been staying in a hotel in Lenexa but had relocated to the home the night before the shooting, according to court documents. Just before the shooting, Oldham had been engaged in a game of dominoes at the dining room table, court documents read, while Johnson looked on from a window seat directly behind him.

Moments after Oldham won the game, Johnson’s father heard two gunshots and saw Johnson allegedly holding a revolver, court documents read. Johnson’s father placed the 911 call.

Witnesses told police detectives that Oldham and Johnson had not argued or exchanged any words before the shooting, according to court documents. After the shooting, a relative told police that Johnson had allegedly been “hearing voices” for several months, court documents read.

When police officers arrived, Johnson allegedly said that the shooting had been “self-defense” and that he had thrown his gun into a nearby body of water, according to court documents.

Johnson is being held on a $100,000 bond and has been ordered to undergo a “rapid response” mental health evaluation, according to court records. He will next appear in Jackson County court at 10 a.m. Nov. 19 for a bond review hearing.

Oldham’s death was the 132nd homicide reported in Kansas City in 2024, according to data collected by The Star. At the same time last year, 162 homicides had been reported in the city.

Previous reporting by Noelle Alviz-Gransee was used in this article.

Related Stories from Kansas City Star
Ilana Arougheti
The Kansas City Star
Ilana Arougheti (they/she) is The Kansas City Star’s Jackson County watchdog reporter, covering local government and accountability issues with a focus on eastern Jackson County .They are a graduate of Northwestern University, where she studied journalism, sociology and gender studies. Ilana most recently covered breaking news for The Star and previously wrote for the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Raleigh News & Observer. Feel free to reach out with questions or tips! Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER