Local

Hearing dates set for juveniles charged in fatal shooting of Irish chef Shaun Brady

A red rose is seen placed near the entrance of Brady & Fox restaurant on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2024, in Kansas City. Shaun Brady, the restaurant’s owner, was shot and killed Wednesday night outside of his restaurant at 63rd Street and Rockhill Road in the Brookside neighborhood.
A red rose is seen placed near the entrance of Brady & Fox restaurant on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2024, in Kansas City. Shaun Brady, the restaurant’s owner, was shot and killed Wednesday night outside of his restaurant at 63rd Street and Rockhill Road in the Brookside neighborhood. ecuriel@kcstar.com

A Jackson County family court judge has set hearing dates to determine if two teenage boys charged in the killing of popular Irish chef Shaun Brady will be tried as adults.

Brady, 44, was fatally shot during a confrontation with a group while taking out the trash in the back parking lot of Brady & Fox, the Irish restaurant he co-owned in Kansas City’s Brookside neighborhood.

The shooting was witnessed by several people and captured on video by nearby security cameras. Both teens were arrested within the hour after his death.

One of the juveniles, identified as K.H. in court documents, was charged on Aug. 29 with second-degree murder, armed criminal action and attempted theft of a motor vehicle.

The second teen, identified in court documents as L.M., was charged the following evening with second-degree murder and attempted stealing, both felonies.

The status hearings for K.H. and L.M. were scheduled for Dec. 4 and Dec. 18, according to Jackson County courts spokesperson Scott Lauck.

Before the shooting, L.M. was enrolled in 10th grade, Lauck said, though it has not been publicly disclosed where. Attorneys for L.M. have said that though L.M. was a passenger in the allegedly stolen vehicle connected to Brady’s death, he is not the one alleged to have actually shot Brady.

Both teens have been detained in Jackson County juvenile detention since the night of the fatal shooting.

Brady is survived by his wife Kate, a Wichita native, and their two young children. His death sparked widespread grief and outrage, particularly within the Kansas City Irish Community and the Brookside business community.

A memorial fund set up after Brady’s death has raised just over $184,000 toward a trust supporting his family.

Reporting by The Star’s Nathan Pilling was used in this article.

Ilana Arougheti
The Kansas City Star
Ilana Arougheti (they/she) is The Kansas City Star’s Jackson County watchdog reporter, covering local government and accountability issues with a focus on eastern Jackson County .They are a graduate of Northwestern University, where she studied journalism, sociology and gender studies. Ilana most recently covered breaking news for The Star and previously wrote for the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Raleigh News & Observer. Feel free to reach out with questions or tips! Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER