Latest news

‘What could have snapped’: Family of first victim baffled at Sunday morning shootings

The first person killed in Sunday morning’s shooting spree across south Kansas City and Raytown was a registered nurse who had just gotten home from work.

Angenette Hollins, 34, was found shot shortly after 9 a.m. inside a house in the 9000 block of Kentucky Avenue.

A series of shootings over the next hour and a half would leave two more dead and two wounded at two other locations, leading to an intense manhunt that lasted into the night.

Hollins’ death would baffle relatives who knew very well the man taken into custody as a person of interest in the shootings, Issac Fisher, 35.

“We have known Issac for over 15 years and Isaac was like a little brother to me, he had been around for so long,” said Hollins’ older sister, Jonisha Jennings. “I couldn’t imagine Issac doing anything like this.

“In every relationship, there is maybe an argument or disagreement and he (Fisher) would get just a little angry but I don’t know,” Jennings said. “I really don’t know what could have snapped in him.”

Hollins and Fisher were the parents of a son who died in infancy, according to Jackson County court records. They also had a daughter.

Fisher listed the 9000 Kentucky Avenue location as his address in court records.

Jennings said she has fond memories of the day her baby sister was brought home from the hospital 34 years ago. She remembers, years later, combing young Hollins’ hair and dressing her.

“I’m a big sister and I love my little sister,” Jennings said Monday.

Angenette Hollins_fitted.jpeg
Angenette Hollins was one of three persons fatally shot Sunday during a shooting spree in Raytown and south Kansas City. Hollins family

Jennings said she’ll cherish those memories as she and her family continued to search for answers a day after Hollins and two others were fatally shot.

“It is really unclear to us as to what happened,” Jennings said. “She had ideas, there was so much more that she wanted to do.”

Hollins was raised in Kansas City and was a graduate of the Job Corps. She was the youngest of five children. Her father, John Hollins passed away in 2012 and her brother, Arvel D. Hollins, was killed in 1997.

For about a decade, Hollins owned and operated Unique Hair Design Studio at 73rd Street and Troost Avenue.

Since then, she received her nursing license and had just gotten off work early Sunday morning and arrived home about 7 a.m.

She was found shot about two hours later, shortly after 9 a.m.

Soon after, Raytown police responded to a triple shooting at a home in the 5700 block of Elm Avenue and found three people shot inside a house.

A man was dead, while a child and an adult were injured. The child is thought to be about 4 years old, Raytown police said. The shooter had entered the house and shot the victims.

The third homicide came about 10:30 a.m., in south Kansas City, when a man was found shot on the front porch of a home near 112th and Eastern Avenue. It was while police were working the third crime scene that they announced a connection between the three shootings.

Police said Fisher may have been responsible for all three shootings, based on statements from people at the scenes and other evidence.

issac fishe_fitted.jpeg
Issac Fisher Johnson County Sheriff's Office

Details of what prompted the shootings and of Fisher’s arrest were not immediately available Monday.

Heavily-armed tactical response officers swarmed several neighborhoods in south Kansas City searching for Fisher. Police said Fisher was considered armed and dangerous and asked residents to remain in their homes.

Late Sunday, after Fisher’s relatives pleaded for him to turn himself in, police announced Fisher was in custody.

Fisher has been struggling since he and Hollins lost a newborn child several years ago, the family member said. He has been incarcerated at times since then and has had difficulty regaining steady employment because he is a felon.

Fisher was released from federal prison on Feb. 15, according to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

In Johnson County, court records listing Fisher’s address on Kentucky Avenue showed that prosecutors were seeking to revoke his probation in a 2015 case.

In 2010, he was arrested after leading Kansas City police on a high-speed chase that ended when he wrecked with another vehicle, according to federal court documents.

He and a passenger fled on foot, but officers caught them nearby. Inside the wrecked vehicle, police found two handguns, and Fisher was charged in federal court with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Fisher later pleaded guilty to the charge and was sentenced to two years and six months in prison, according to the court records.

In 2017, after his release from prison, he was taken back into custody for violating conditions of his release in the federal gun case. In May 2017, a judge sentenced him to an additional one year and one month in prison.

Fisher was jailed briefly last month in Johnson County after prosecutors filed a motion to revoke his probation in a 2015 case.

In that case, Fisher pleaded guilty in battery on a law enforcement officer and driving under the influence, according to Johnson County court records.

Fisher was scheduled to appear in Johnson County District Court in that case on Oct. 17.

Related stories from Kansas City Star