Suspect in shooting spree, 3 killings across south KC and Raytown in police custody

A manhunt ended Sunday night after police took into custody a man suspected in a series of shootings that left three people dead and two wounded in three separate crime scenes across south Kansas City and Raytown.

About 11 p.m., Kansas City police announced that Issac Fisher, 35, was in police custody.

Earlier in the day, Fisher had been the subject of an intense search by police tactical teams that swarmed the neighborhood around 112th Street and Eastern Avenue — the site of the third homicide of the morning in the Kansas City area.

Police said they think Fisher is responsible for shooting five people, three of whom died.

Capture_fitted (3).png
Issac Fisher is pictured in a 2014 booking photo Kansas City Police Department

“This individual is dangerous, he’s at large and he already has murdered three,” Kansas City police spokesman Capt. Lionel Colón said at the time. “We need this to end as quick as possible.”

A relative of Fisher told The Star Sunday night that his family is grieving over the shootings and they wanted Fisher to turn himself in.

“This is a nightmare,” said the family member, who The Star did not name for her safety while Fisher remained at large. “We’re concerned he’s going to keep going.”

Fisher has been struggling since he and his girlfriend lost a newborn child several years ago, the family member said. He has been incarcerated at times since then and has had difficulty regaining steady employment because he is a felon.

“People are saying (on social media) he never cared, but that’s a lie,” she said. “Something snapped. He felt he couldn’t win.”

Family members didn’t know where he was, she said, but they were trying to reach him, “because we don’t want any more deaths.”

The killings occurred in a period of little more than an hour in three crime scenes that spanned about 11 miles.

The shootings began about 9:15 a.m. when a woman was found fatally shot inside a house in the 9000 block of Kentucky Avenue.

A short time later, in Raytown, police responding to a shooting at a home in the 5700 block of Elm Avenue found three people shot inside a house. A man was dead, while a child and an adult were injured.

The child is thought to be about 4 years old, Raytown police said. The shooter had entered the house and shot the victims.

The third homicide came about 10:30 a.m., in south Kansas City, when a man was found shot on the front porch of a home near 112th and Eastern Avenue.

It was while police were working the third crime scene that they announced a connection between the three shootings.

Colón said police think Fisher was responsible for all three shootings, based on statements from people at the scenes and other evidence.

While the tactical teams searched the area of the third shooting, which was southwest of Ruskin Way Park, police asked residents in the area to shelter in place.

Police announced about 3 p.m. that the search had failed to find Fisher.

Police also issued a public plea for Fisher to turn himself in, and for family or friends of Fisher to call 911 if they had any information about where he was hiding.

“Obviously this is an individual in crisis, to say the least,” Colón said. “What’s behind that crisis, I don’t know.”

Fisher’s criminal record includes several convictions for low-level offenses in Jackson County, including tampering with a motor vehicle, misdemeanor assault, resisting arrest and possession of marijuana.

Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call the Police Department’s Homicide Unit at 816-234-5043 or call the TIPS Hotline anonymously at 816-474-8477.

Related stories from Kansas City Star