KC man charged with 18 crimes in shooting spree that allegedly targeted relatives

Issac J. Fisher, accused in a shooting spree that killed three, wounded two, and set off an intense manhunt in south Kansas City, was charged Monday with 18 felonies, including murder, assault and child endangerment.

Fisher, 35, faces three counts of second-degree murder, seven counts of armed criminal action, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of child endangerment, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon and single counts of burglary and car theft.

He was taken into police custody late Sunday and is being held on $1 million bond.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced the charges Monday afternoon.

“In the span of about 60 minutes on Sunday morning, the defendant went on a shooting spree,” Peters Baker said in a statement. “Three lives were lost, two others were wounded, including a child. Two additional children were nearly struck in the gunfire. This senseless violence also impacted a community of residents fearful of leaving their homes. Today, these charges may bring some peace back to our neighborhoods.”

The series of shootings occurred over a period of little more than an hour at three locations spanning about 11 miles.

Police quickly named Fisher as a suspect and conducted a manhunt for him that lasted into the night. Of the victims, only one had been publicly named by authorities as of Monday afternoon.

The first victim, Angenette Hollins, 34, was found shot shortly after 9 a.m. inside a house in the 9000 block of Kentucky Avenue. She and Fisher had two children together, one of whom died in infancy.

Prosecutors say the first shooting was reported when a woman told authorities that her daughter-in-law, Hollins, had been shot by her son, who was later identified as Fisher.

Witnesses inside the house said Fisher arrived at the home and argued with Hollins. Moments later, a witness said she heard four or five gunshots and found Hollins wounded, sprawled on the bathroom floor.

Fisher fled, armed with a handgun, a witness said. He allegedly left the home in a vehicle that was later found by Raytown police.

A short time later, Fisher arrived at a home on Laurel Avenue in Raytown, where he kicked in the door and then drove away in a second vehicle, a white Chevrolet Traverse, a witness told investigators.

About 9:30 a.m. — barely a half-hour after Hollins was killed — Raytown police responded to a triple shooting at a home in the 5700 block of Elm Avenue. Officers found three people shot inside the house.

One of the victims was reported to be Fisher’s step-brother, according to court documents. An adult and a 4-year-old girl also had been shot, while a 1-year-old was present but was not injured.

A third witness said Fisher left that house carrying a rifle over his shoulder. He drove away in a white Traverse.

Not long after that, about 10:30 a.m., Kansas City police were summoned to a shooting near 112th Street and Eastern Avenue in south Kansas City.

Arriving officers found the third homicide victim of the morning, a man fatally shot on the front porch of a home. The man was reportedly Fisher’s cousin, prosecutors said.

While still alive, the victim told a witness that a man called “Big” had shot him.

Prosecutors say Fisher goes by the nickname “Big.” Police located the white Traverse behind a nearby home.

The head stamps on spent shell casings found nearby matched those found at the other crime scenes, according to prosecutors.

It was while police were working this third crime scene that they announced a connection between the three shootings.

The first shooting victim, Hollins, grew up in Kansas City and graduated from Job Corps, her sister said Monday. She was the youngest of five children.

For about a decade, Hollins owned and operated Unique Hair Design Studio at 73rd Street and Troost Avenue. She had recently been working as a registered nurse.

Her death baffled relatives who knew Fisher well.

“We have known Issac for over 15 years and Issac was like a little brother to me, he had been around for so long,” said Hollins’ older sister, Jonisha Jennings. “I couldn’t imagine Issac doing anything like this.”

Fisher has been struggling since he and Hollins lost a newborn child several years ago, another family member said. He has been incarcerated at times and has had difficulty regaining steady employment because he is a felon.

Fisher was released from federal prison on Feb. 15, according to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons. He listed the home on Kentucky Avenue as his residence in court records.

In 2010, he was arrested after leading Kansas City police on a high-speed chase that ended when he wrecked with another vehicle, according to federal court documents.

He and a passenger fled on foot, but officers caught them nearby. Inside the wrecked vehicle, police found two handguns, and Fisher was charged in federal court with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Fisher later pleaded guilty to the charge and was sentenced to two years and six months in prison, according to the court records.

In 2017, after his release from prison, he was taken back into custody for violating conditions of his release in the federal gun case.

In May 2017, a judge sentenced him to an additional one year and one month in prison. Fisher was jailed briefly last month in Johnson County after prosecutors filed a motion to revoke his probation in a 2015 case.

In that case, Fisher pleaded guilty to battery of a law enforcement officer and driving under the influence, according to Johnson County court records.

Fisher was scheduled to appear in Johnson County District Court in that case on Oct. 17.

Related stories from Kansas City Star