Royals hopeful Kelvin Herrera, Alex Rios could be over chickenpox by next week
Kelvin Herrera and Alex Rios worked out at Kauffman Stadium on Friday morning, and Royals trainer Nick Kenney told manager Ned Yost he hoped both players would be over their infections from the chickenpox by next week.
“He’s hoping by maybe early next week we should be out of the woods,” Yost said.
Yost declined to place an exact date on the timetable for either player’s return.
“They’ll be ready when they’re ready,” Yost said. “I’m not putting a day on it. I mean, how the heck do I know? I’m not a freaking doctor. They’re ready when they’re ready. When the things dry up, they dry up.”
The Royals diagnosed both players with the chickenpox last weekend. They have been quarantined at their homes until they become less contagious. Kenney administered treatment on both at their homes earlier this week, then took them to the doctor’s on Friday to clear them to work out at the ballpark.
Rios took indoor batting practice with hitting coach Dale Sveum. Herrera threw a light, 30-pitch bullpen session with pitching coach Dave Eiland. Rios and Herrera exited the complex before their teammates arrived.
“They both feel fine,” Yost said. “But the little things they’ve got still aren’t completely dried out. They’re contagious until they scab over and dry up.”
To reach Andy McCullough, call 816-234-4730 or send email to rmccullough@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter @McCulloughStar. Download True Blue, The Star’s free Royals app, here.
This story was originally published September 4, 2015 at 7:09 PM.