Crime

21-year-old took marijuana from dead man’s hand following KC shooting, records say

A 21-year-old man was accused of tampering with evidence in a homicide investigation after the Jackson County prosecutor said he was caught on security footage taking a bag of what looked to be marijuana from a victim’s body.

Brandon J. Kumm of Independence was charged with one misdemeanor count of tampering with physical evidence, a news release from the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office said Friday.

Court records said Kumm took a plastic bag of marijuana from the victim’s hand after the victim had been shot to death in the parking lot of a BP gas station near Van Brunt Boulevard and 31st Street.

Kansas City police were called to the scene of a double shooting about 3:45 p.m. Tuesday. They found the body of 18-year-old Tyler Johnson in the gas station parking lot. Another man, Kenton Branch, 26, was also shot and tried to drive away but crashed and was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Read Next
Read Next

Following the shooting, police reviewed surveillance video from the gas station. Court records said Kumm took an unknown item from Johnson’s left hand and threw it inside a black Chevrolet Blazer parked on the east side of the gas station. Police arrested him on suspicion of tampering.

In an interview with police, Kumm said Johnson had asked him for a ride to the gas station to meet someone. Johnson approached a vehicle and soon Kumm heard several gunshots. Kumm denied taking anything from Johnson’s body but later told police he had removed a bag of marijuana from the victim’s hand, court records said.

Police searched Kumm’s SUV and found a clear plastic bag with what appeared to be marijuana in the back of the vehicle. Kumm was charged Thursday. A court date has not yet been scheduled.

Along with announcing the tampering charge, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker also issued a statement calling on the public’s help in police investigations and to show compassion for victims. She expressed disappointment after photos were posted to social media of one of the victim’s bodies.

In a tweet Wednesday, Baker indicated Johnson’s family learned their son was dead after seeing one of the photos of his body on Facebook.

“We expect better of our community. Both victims in this case are deceased, so no charges are expected related to the two fatal shootings. But together we can move closer to achieving the goal of a safe community by first showing compassion and common decency,” Baker said in a statement.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER