Neighbor's video shows man shot by Grandview Police

Neighbor's video shows Grandview police shoot man outside home

A neighbor's video shows Grandview police shooting Larry San Nicolas outside his home Sunday, July 1, 2018.
Up Next
A neighbor's video shows Grandview police shooting Larry San Nicolas outside his home Sunday, July 1, 2018.

The son of a man who was fatally wounded by Grandview police said Wednesday that a short video shows the victim wasn't posing a lethal threat to officers when he was shot.

Frank Arceo is the oldest son of Larry San Nicolas, who was shot by Grandview police Sunday as he brandished a sword outside his home in the 6000 block of 148th Terrace.

Arceo said Wednesday that the video taken by a neighbor across the street shows Nicolas was not posing a lethal threat to the police officers.

A person who answered the phone at Grandview police offices Wednesday referred calls about the incident and the video to the Missouri Highway Patrol, which is investigating the incident. A call to the Highway Patrol for comment Wednesday was not returned.

"His arms were up the whole time," Arceo said of the incident. "He was not threatening the officers. There was distance between him and the officers, and they were behind cover."

San Nicolas, 60, was diabetic and having a manic reaction because he needed insulin, his family said. His wife, Jessie San Nicolas, wanted police to come with paramedics and help him, as they had done over a year ago when she called 911 for assistance.

But when officers arrived at about 2:40 p.m. Sunday, Larry San Nicolas came out the side door of the house and down the driveway with a sword over his head. Two officers stood poised behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee parked across the driveway. Other officers were stationed behind a Grandview police vehicle about 20 yards to the east.

An officer behind the police vehicle fired beanbag shots to try to stop San Nicolas, witnesses said, but he continued to advance. Then an officer behind the Jeep fired several live rounds. San Nicolas died Sunday night at a hospital.

Arceo lives across the street and had tried to run to his father's house to keep him inside, but officers holding the family back wouldn't let him intervene with his father. Arceo said Wednesday the family wanted the video released so people could see what happened.

The investigation could take several weeks as investigators study autopsy results and review witness statements, the Highway Patrol said earlier this week.