COVID-19 update: Deaths tied to outbreaks at KCK rehab center and church event
New deaths related to the coronavirus were reported in Wyandotte and Johnson counties Wednesday morning, according to the latest statistics released by local health officials.
Two more residents of a Kansas City, Kansas, rehabilitation and nursing facility died after testing positive for the coronavirus, increasing the number of deaths there to six.
Riverbend Post Acute Rehabilitation now appears to account for the biggest outbreak of COVID-19 cases in the state. As of Wednesday, 48 residents have tested positive and eight employees, according to information released by the Unified Government Public Health Department. Seven residents are hospitalized.
The deaths brought Wyandotte County’s total to 12. Meanwhile, Johnson County announced it had one more victim since Tuesday, bringing its total to 11 deaths.
Johnson County has had 239 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19, with 1,878 tests returning negative. Wyandotte County has had 219 cases.
COVID-19 death linked to church conference
The death of a resident from southeast Kansas has been found to be connected to a Kansas City, Kansas, church conference where more than a dozen people have contracted the coronavirus, according to the state health department.
A Kansas Department of Health and Environment spokeswoman said in an email Tuesday that the death of one Montgomery County, Kansas, resident was found to be connected to Kansas East Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction’s Ministers and Workers Conference held March 16-22 at the Miracle Temple Church of God in Christ, 2106 Quindaro Blvd.
KDHE has identified at least 15 cases associated with the conference. In six of the cases, patients had to be hospitalized.
Between 150 to 200 people attended the week-long conference, according to the health department in Wyandotte County.
Anyone who attended the conference and has developed COVID-19 symptoms is asked to stay home and report their symptoms by calling their health care provider or local health department.
Coronavirus hits KC’s Third District
Residents of Kansas City’s Third Council District has the most confirmed cases of the coronavirus, local health officials said.
The district, which is home to a high percentage of black residents, matches what is being seen across the country — the COVID-19 pandemic is hitting black communities harder because of underlying health problems, lack to access to health care and other factors.
The district is nearly 60% black and is among the poorest in the city with high unemployment among its residents.
“I am not surprised by the numbers,” said Councilwoman Melissa Robinson, who represents Third District. “Our most segregated, our most economically insecure population is being hit the hardest.”
Overland Park postpones farmers market
The city of Overland Park has postponed its farmers market after receiving numerous complaints from its residents concerned about further spread of the conronavirus.
Although other Johnson County cities decided to postpone their markets, Overland Park had planned to open its market for the season on Saturday. The city had even moved the market where vendors would be more spread apart and events and children’s activities had been canceled.
“Despite the efforts we’ve gone through with the safety and health protocols, we still heard from people who were concerned about the health of the public and vendors,” said city spokesman Sean Reilly. “So we heard them, listened to them and decided we would go ahead and close it.”
The farmers market is now expected to open after the stay-at-home order is lifted.
South Plaza restaurant will not reopen
Nick and Jake’s, a restaurant south of the Country Club Plaza, announced that it has closed permanently.
In an announcement on Facebook, the owners said: “This has been a very difficult time for us and yes, with a heavy heart we have had to close our Main Street location permanently. To all our employees, we wish we would have called you all individually and for not making that happen we apologize. Things have moved very quickly. To the community, we thank you for your patronage over the last few years. You have made this location a home.”
Nick and Jake’s South Plaza is one of the first restaurants to announce it will not reopen after the stay-at-home order is lifted. There are other Nick and Jake’s in the metro area.
This story was originally published April 8, 2020 at 1:05 PM.