We can all agree that Monday’s national championship football game was fun to watch.
The Crimson Tide was crowned champions after beating Clemson 45-40. It’s worth noting that Alabama finished the season, 12-1, and that one loss is why you could say Northwest Missouri State is the best team in the country.
Assistant Sports Editor Tom Ibarra brought this to my attention, but this is how you make the case for the Bearcats beat the nation’s best team.
Here we go:
▪ Alabama lost to Mississippi 43-37 on Sept. 19.
▪ Mississippi lost to Arkansas 53-52 in overtime on Nov. 7.
▪ Arkansas lost to Toledo 16-12 on Sept. 12.
▪ Toledo lost to Northern Illinois 32-27 on Nov. 3.
▪ Northern Illinois lost to Ohio University 26-21 on Nov. 24.
▪ Ohio University lost to Buffalo 42-27 on Oct. 24.
▪ Buffalo lost to Massachusetts 31-26 on Nov. 27.
▪ Massachusetts lost to Ball State 20-10 on Oct. 31.
▪ Ball State lost to Georgia State 31-19 on Oct. 17.
▪ Georgia State lost to Liberty 41-33 on Oct. 3. (Here is where we cross the divide from Football Bowl Subdivision teams to Football Championship Subdivision)
▪ Liberty lost Southern Illinois 34-13 on Sept. 26.
▪ Southern Illinois lost to Southeast Missouri 27-24 on Sept. 12.
▪ Southeast Missoui lost to Shorter University 26-21 on Sept. 26. (Now we’re into Division II football)
▪ Shorter University lost to Carson-Newman 20-17 on Sept. 12.
▪ Carson-Newman lost to Lenoir-Rhyne 52-17 on Oct. 3.
▪ Lenoir-Rhyne lost to Mars Hill 41-37 on Oct. 24.
▪ Mars Hill lost to Catawba College 29-10 on Oct. 17.
▪ Catawba College lost to Wingate 17-0 on Sept. 26.
▪ Wingate lost to Tusculum College 26-17 on Oct. 10.
▪ Tusculum College lost to Virginia State 40-13 on Sept. 12.
▪ Virginia State lost California University of Pennsylvania 35-16 on Sept. 5.
▪ California University of Pennsylvania lost to Slippery Rock 56-21 on Oct. 10 (Slippery Rock always reminds me of Ray Rayner)
▪ Slippery Rock lost to Shepherd 28-16 on Dec. 5.
▪ Shepherd lost to Northwest Missouri State 34-7 on Dec. 19 in the Division II national-championship game.
And there it is! In 24 simple steps, you can make the argument that Northwest Missouri State is better than Alabama, which just won the national championship.