Since the Feb. 18 murder of Hailey Owens and the arrest of Craig Michael Wood, attention has turned to why it took more than two hours for an announcement of her abduction to air across Missouri. Legislators and law enforcement officials are considering ways to streamline the notification system.
This past November, just before my son turned 25, I got hooked on an MTV docu-series called Generation Cryo. It featured a teenage girl who was conceived by artificial insemination using donor sperm. The girl was searching for possible half-siblings and wanted to find her sperm donor, too. When I switched off the television after the last episode, I picked up my laptop and began writing this essay; I wanted to share my story and celebrate my marvelous son.
With Midwestern hospitality on his mind, Richard Carrothers, president and co-artistic director of New Theatre the New Theatre Restaurant in Overland Park, purchased four modest, older homes in Johnson County and renovated them with the help of theater staff to create sanctuary-like living spaces for visiting celebrities such as Cheers star George Wendt.
- Star Shots | March 15, 2014
- Horton, Kan. prepares for CNBC personality Marcus Lemonis
- Sporting Kansas City 1, FC Dallas 1
- Big 12 tournament championship: Iowa State 74, Baylor 65
- Kansas 6A Boys Basketball Championship | Blue Valley Northwest 73, Blue Valley North 46
- Kansas 5A Boys Basketball Championship | Lansing 48, Highland Park 27
- Brookside St. Patricks Warm-Up Parade
- Planet Comicon
- Heart of America Kennel Club Dog Show
- Westport St. Patricks Day Run
- Naka-Kon 2014
- Greater KC Science & Engineering Fair
- Fashion Week Kick Off at Standard Style
- Big 12 Spirit Rallies: Thursday
- Sporting KC vs. Cruz Azul
- 25 Under 25 awards banquet
- West Bottoms Warehouse Weekend: Saturday
- Gala of the Royal Horses attendees
Kansas coach Bill Self coaxed a collection of talented possibilities to a 10th consecutive conference championship. But as evidenced by their early exit from the Big 12 Tournament, it hasnt all been smooth sailing for the Jayhawks.
Nobody really goes away on the World Wide Web, and that provides great comfort to many grieving families. But to others, online accounts that linger in perpetuity only serve to remind that someone dear no longer occupies the real world.
Pretty much every race, from U.S. Senate to the city council, Obamacare is on peoples minds, said Republican consultant Aaron Trost. Republicans see it as a winning issue in 2014. Democrats worry that it has become a broader critique of a federal government that many voters distrust, to their partys disadvantage.
St. Patricks Day is a big event for many Kansas Citians, Irish and non-Irish alike. In North Kansas City, the revelry began Saturday with the annual Snake Saturday Parade. In Kansas Citys Brookside neighborhood, it was time for the annual St. Patricks Warm-Up Parade.
At the bottom of a heap, Stan Jurga Jr. of All Star Sporting Goods found a group of decade-old catcher’s masks. They were Kelly green, solid steel and about a quarter-pound heavier than hollow steel masks — potentially ideal, in other words, for the Royals’ ongoing quest to protect Salvador Perez.
At a press conference in Kuala Lumpur, Prime Minister Najib Razak said that investigators have determined that the Beijing-bound flight was deliberately diverted from its planned route, with its communications turned off. But he avoided saying it had been hijacked.
In a frantic multitude they began arriving at first light, swarming to the tubes of fine grain and Niger seed and cakes of suet that hang in the gnarled redbud tree just outside the breakfast room window.
In Sporting Kansas Citys MLS home opener, Aurelien Collin drew first blood with goal in the 81st minute, but FC Dallas tied it up late in the match, which ended in a 1-1 draw Saturday night at Sporting Park.
Tom Watson will celebrate a birthday in September that many folks view as a milestone, but dont look for him to slow down anytime soon. Watson, a Kansas City golf legend, is set for a busy year of competition on the Champions Tour as well as the regular PGA Tour. And, if that isnt enough, he will be captain of the U.S. team in the biannual Ryder Cup competition Sept. 26-28.
In his CNBC show, Marcus Lemonis uses his own money to enter into deals with struggling small businesses to turn them around. Now Horton, population 1,776 and dropping, wonders whether his prescription for change can affect the fortunes and future of a community that, like thousands of tiny towns nationwide, has been in slow decline for 100 years.
The music industry needs more provocateurs, more artists daring to take risks. That was one of the messages delivered by CeeLo Green Saturday morning inside the Austin Convention Center in a one-hour interview with NPR music editor Frannie Kelley.
Does your dog have a house in the backyard that rivals Martha Stewart’s home in the Hamptons? Does your cat have a custom-made jungle gym that takes up the better part of a room in your home? Have you spent more money creating a space for your pet than most people do on rooms for their children? If so, we’d like to hear from you.
Costumed visitors were plentiful at Planet Comicon, the pop culture and comic book convention featuring sci-fi and fantasy actors and comic book artists, on the shows second day at Bartle Hall.
Blogs and columns
- Breaking down how Joel Embiid's absence hurt Kansas against Iowa State
- NAIA Tournament players to watch, story lines, favorites and more
- Meet the 32-team NAIA Tournament field
- Mizzou never could put a run together as Florida rained three-pointers in SEC tourney
- Bishop Miege grad Trevor Releford’s standout career at Alabama comes to close
- Obamacare shapes politics in campaigns big and small
- Sly James, Claire McCaskill, Obama: Who's up and down at this point in time
- Lack of pro team at Sprint Center seems an increasing advantage for KC GOP bid
- Gov. Jay Nixon, U.S. Rep. Emanuel Cleaver to argue for expansion of Medicaid
- BuzzChatter Friday: Ryan tries to dig out from “offensive” remarks