On Wednesday, the General Assembly passed a bill incrementally cutting taxes by $620 million over at least five years, a measure Gov. Jay Nixon will probably veto. On Thursday, a Senate committee is expected to back a bill asking voters to raise the state’s sales tax by a penny for 10 years to fund updates to transportation infrastructure — money likely to rebuild I-70 nearly from Illinois to Kansas.
The top 10 were announced at a private event at Boulevard Brewing Co. The event — presented by Intrust Bank — was part of the chamber’s annual small business celebrations. One of the top 10 will be crowned the Kansas City 2014 Small Business of the Year and receive the Mr. K Award at a luncheon May 29.
Dominique Cooks, an 18-year-old from Federal Way, Wash., whom Park Hill High junior and cancer survivor Nick Hibbeler called his inspiration, died Tuesday night. He had been battling an inoperable brain tumor for two years.
- Entertainment: Jason Derulo, Jordin Sparks, Jay Z, Annie Leibovitz, Miley Cyrus
- Rails arrive for downtown streetcar line
- Four confirmed dead, hundreds missing as ferry sinks off coast of South Korea,
- NY Auto show features new Mustang, Corvette, Maserati
- Prince George, Puppies and Cricket as Royals visit Australia, New Zealand
- Dancing with the Stars features Disney songs and eliminations
- InterContinental Hotels employee gala
- Fans disappointed after Miley Cyrus cancels Sprint Center concert
- Training for the Mothers Day 5K: Week 3
- Easter egg hunt at Belton Assembly of God
- Belton Spring Fling
- Leawood Eggstravaganza
- Soccer fans watch FC Kansas City take on Sky Blue FC
- Roller Derby double-header
- Prairie Village Earth Fair
- Wyandotte County Ethnic Festival
- Rock the Parkway half-marathon and 5K
- Puppets for the Planet Festival
Follow along on your desktop or mobile device during Tuesday's Royals-Astros game for live stats and updates from Andy McCullough, The Star's Royals beat reporter. First pitch is set for 7:10 p.m. on Fox Sports Kansas City.
After much anticipation, work will start next month on the extensive Johnson County Gateway Project, a complete overhaul of the Kansas 10, Interstate 35 and I-435 interchange that will last until the end of 2016.
After he was convicted of armed robbery in 2000, Cornealious Anderson was sentenced to 13 years behind bars and told to await instructions on when and where to report to prison. But those instructions never came.
The occupants of a minivan reported that one of the vehicle’s windows may have been shot out Wednesday afternoon while driving along Bruce R. Watkins Drive at 59th Street in Kansas City. None of the four people in the van was injured.
Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe pleaded guilty Wednesday in Riverside Municipal Court to amended charges of defective equipment and littering relating to his Nov. 10 arrest for marijuana possession. The city prosecutor, Amy Ashefford, said Bowe paid $610 in fines.
Kansas City police were scouring an east side neighborhood late Wednesday night after 12-year-old Naomi Lizbeth Hidalgo-Garcia was reported missing. She was reported missing about 9 p.m. in the 2300 block of Quincy Avenue.
On Wednesday, rails to be used by the new downtown streetcar were delivered to a staging area at 19th and Walnut streets. About 800 tons of rail will be used for the rail line extending from the River Market to Union Station.
“I think it’s important for us to continue on as before,” Debby Winkel, 64, of Olathe said Wednesday, the first day the Jewish Community Center opened after two people were fatally shot there and a third person was killed at a second Jewish community site in Overland Park. “I think we owe it as a show of support for those families who lost loved ones and to show support for one another.”
Tom Watson is going back this week to a place hes had quite a bit of success. Watson will be playing in the RBC Heritage tournament in Hilton Head, S.C. Watson is a two-time winner of the event, having captured the title in 1979 and 1982.
Chelsea Clinton says she's happy right now with her elected representatives but might come for their jobs if that changes. Clinton, 34, daughter of former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, told Fast Company that she has always denied any interest in running for office.
Federal researchers reported the first broad national picture of progress in combating some of the most devastating complications of diabetes, which affects millions of Americans. Rates of heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure and amputations fell sharply over the past two decades. The biggest declines were in the rates of heart attacks and deaths from high blood sugar, which each dropped by more than 60 percent from 1990 to 2010, the period studied.
Still wondering why Channel 9 pushed meteorologist Lisa Teachman out the door earlier this year? So is she. I still dont know what happened, Teachman said Wednesday, the day after it was announced shell be joining KCTV-5s morning show.
Now solidified as Missouri’s starting quarterback, Maty Mauk wants to command the offense more than stun the defense. “I want to stay in the pocket more,” Mauk said. “Last year, I didn’t get thrown in because I knew I was going in there when James got hurt, but I wasn’t as ready as I am now.”
Blogs and columns
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement to Donnie Wahlberg on 'The View'
- Miss Kansas Theresa Vail to host hunting show for Outdoors Channel
- B.B. King apologizes for bad St. Louis show
- Miley Cyrus cancels St. Louis show, tweets from hospital
- George Brett, who inspired the song Royals, finally meets Lorde
- Missouri lawmakers cut taxes as they ponder raising them
- Missouri legislature passes $620 million tax cut, Nixon signals possible veto
- NYT says Sebelius is considering taking on Roberts for Senate, but local Democrats doubtful
- Schweich hauls in $257K
- BuzzChatter Wednesday: It’s easy to complain about the tax code