For Pete's Sake

Here’s why Royals’ Bobby Witt Jr. wasn’t chosen for All-Star Game swing-off

Whether you loved it or hated it, we witnessed All-Star Game history Tuesday night.

With the game tied 6-6 after nine innings at Truist Park in Atlanta, the winning team was decided by a swing-off. It was a mini-home run derby and the National League won thanks to Kyle Schwarber hitting home runs in all three of his swings.

The game went to a swing-off because of Royals shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. The American League trailed by two in the ninth inning, but Witt hit a one-out RBI double. After the Yankees’ Jazz Chisholm made an out, Witt scored on an infield single by Cleveland’s Steven Kwan, tying the game.

Players who took part in the swing-off couldn’t have been subbed out of the game, which eliminated Aaron Judge and Cal Raleigh. But Witt told MLB.com’s Anne Rogers he wanted to take part.

“I wish,” Witt told her. “That would have been fun.”

Fans wanted to see Witt, who finished second in last year’s Home Run Derby take part. Here is but a snippet of what they were saying, and it wasn’t just folks in KC pushing for Witt.

Why Bobby Witt Jr. wasn’t chosen

Yankees skipper Aaron Boone, who was the American League manager, told reporters after the game that he had to pick his three players for a potential swing-off on Monday.

He chose the A’s Brent Rooker, Mariners’ Randy Arozarena and Rays’ Jonathan Aranda.

“Yesterday, when I went through and we had to pick our guys yesterday,” Boone said. “I wanted to pick guys that I knew would be in the game still and still hot. So, yeah, that was my choice.”

One can’t help but wonder if Boone would have gone with Witt it the swing-off participants had been chosen after the ninth inning. Witt certainly was still hot at that point.

Perhaps Boone wasn’t sure Monday if Witt would still be playing in the ninth inning. It’s also possible Witt was an alternate because each side had to pick one. I don’t believe we heard who was the AL alternate.

“I think what it was is you had to declare three guys with one alternate before the game,” National League manager Dave Roberts told reporters. “And so we went around and sort of polled the guys and figured out who was going to be in the back half of the game, kind of thing like that.”

This story was originally published July 16, 2025 at 9:24 AM.

Pete Grathoff
The Kansas City Star
From covering the World Series to the World Cup, Pete Grathoff has done a little bit of everything since joining The Kansas City Star in 1997.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER