Royals

MLB cancellations wipe out Kansas City Royals entire opening homestand, I-70 series

Negotiations between the Major League Baseball owners and the locked out Players Association continued with proposals volleying back and forth on Wednesday. However, the regular-season schedule continues to shrink.

With no deal reached, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced the cancellation of two more regular season series as the sides work on a collective bargaining agreement to replace the one that expired in December.

The Kansas City Royals’ season-opening series in Cleveland against the Guardians and their home-opening series against the Chicago White Sox at Kauffman Stadium were canceled by MLB last week.

The latest set of cancellations wiped out a four-game home series against the Guardians as well as a two-game set in St. Louis as part of the I-70 series against cross-state rivals the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Royals’ entire first homestand of the regular season has now been canceled. No games will be played prior to April 14.

The Royals are scheduled to begin a series at home against the Detroit Tigers on April 14.

“In a last-ditch effort to preserve a 162-game season, this week we have made good-faith proposals that address the specific concerns voiced by the MLBPA and would have allowed the players to return to the field immediately,” Manfred said in a statement released by MLB. “The Clubs went to extraordinary lengths to meet the substantial demands of the MLBPA. On the key economic issues that have posed stumbling blocks, the Clubs proposed ways to bridge gaps to preserve a full schedule. Regrettably, after our second late-night bargaining session in a week, we remain without a deal.

“Because of the logistical realities of the calendar, another two series are being removed from the schedule, meaning that Opening Day is postponed until April 14th. We worked hard to reach an agreement and offered a fair deal with significant improvements for the players and our fans. I am saddened by this situation’s continued impact on our game and all those who are a part of it, especially our loyal fans.

“We have the utmost respect for our players and hope they will ultimately choose to accept the fair agreement they have been offered.”

The Players Association responded with a statement that called the owners’ decision to cancel more games “unnecessary.”

“After making a set of comprehensive proposals to the league earlier this afternoon, and being told substantive responses were forthcoming, Players have yet to hear back.

“Players want to play, and we cannot wait to get back on the field for the best fans in the world. Our top priority remains the finalization of a fair contract for all Players, and we will continue negotiations toward that end.”

The sides reportedly gained ground on several economic issues including the luxury tax/competitive balance tax, pre-arbitration bonus pool and minimum salaries, but negotiations hit a snag in regard to the owners’ proposed implementation of an international amateur draft.

This story was originally published March 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM.

Lynn Worthy
The Kansas City Star
Lynn Worthy covers the Kansas City Royals and Major League Baseball for The Star. A native of the Northeast, he’s covered high school, collegiate and professional sports for The Lowell Sun, Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin, Allentown Morning Call and The Salt Lake Tribune. He’s won awards for sports features and sports columns.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER