• 1. Eastern Kentucky coach Jeff Neubauer is a former assistant under Michigan coach John Beilein at West Virginia from 2002-05.
• 2. The Colonels lost in overtime at VCU on Dec. 5, while also losing 86-61 to Wisconsin on Dec. 14. They have now won seven straight, including a victory over Belmont in the Ohio Valley championship.
• 3. Eastern Kentucky has five players — and four starters — that have taken more than 70 three-point attempts this year. Leading scorer Glenn Cosey, a 6-foot senior guard, has made 42 percent of his threes on 259 attempts.Three things about KU’s potential round of 32 opponents
No. 7 seed New Mexico
• 1. Kansas freshman center Joel Embiid, who is doubtful for this weekend, had a breakout game in a victory over New Mexico at the Sprint Center in December, finishing with 18 points, six rebounds and four blocks.
• 2. The 20th-ranked Lobos have won nine of 10, including a 64-58 victory over No. 8 San Diego State in the Mountain West championship in Las Vegas.
• 3. Senior power forward Cameron Bairstow is averaging 20.3 points per game while shooting 56 percent from the floor. The Lobos’ offense ranks 38th nationally in efficiency.
No. 10 seed Stanford
• 1. The Cardinal, coached by former Duke assistant Johnny Dawkins, is rated 38th nationally in offensive efficiency and ranks 60th in defense.
• 2. Stanford enters the tourney having lost four of seven, including a 25-point loss to UCLA in the Pac-12 Tournament.
• 3. The Cardinal are one of the best teams in the country at protecting the rim; they rank seventh nationally in block percentage, and 6-foot-11 center Stefan Nastic and 6-foot-10 Dwight Powell are both long inside.