Crime

Suspect in Leavenworth bridge shooting used AR-15, faces nine counts: prosecutor

Prosecutors on Friday announced they have filed charges against a man accused of opening fire with an AR-15 rifle and injuring one person earlier this week on the Centennial Bridge in Leavenworth Kansas.

Jason R. Westrem, 37, is charged with nine counts including first-degree attempted murder, Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said.

Westrem, a Platte County resident, used an AR-15 in the shooting, Thompson said. Westrem was injured when a Fort Leavenworth soldier intervened to stop the shooting, and remains in the hospital, Thompson said.

The soldier, identified as Master Sgt. David Royer, spoke to reporters Thursday and said he believed most others would have done the same as he did.

The shooting unfolded about 11 a.m. Wednesday when a man was seen firing shots apparently at random on the bi-state bridge that connects Leavenworth and Platte County over the Missouri River.

A motorist hit by gunfire and injured was also a Fort Leavenworth soldier, police said.

A Fort Leavenworth soldier intervened in the shooting, ‘likely saving countless lives,” Leavenworth Police Chief Pat Kitchens said.

The soldier was waiting in traffic when he saw the shooting. He struck the shooter with his vehicle, Kitchens said Wednesday.

“What was a very, very dangerous situation fortunately was ended quite quickly,” Kitchens said. “Again, very likely countless lives were saved by the person who intervened.”

Jason R. Westrem
Jason R. Westrem Leavenworth Police Department

The bridge was shut down for several hours while police investigated.

Westrem, of Houston Lakes, is charged with first degree attempted murder, a level three felony criminal discharge of a firearm at an occupied vehicle, two counts of aggravated assault, three level seven felonies of criminal discharge of a firearm at an occupied vehicle, and two counts of aggravated endangering a child.

Thompson said he believes Westrem is still being supervised in the hospital.

Gun violence will be the subject of a new, statewide journalism project The Star is undertaking in Missouri this year in partnership with the national service program Report for America. As part of this project, The Star will seek the community’s help.

To contribute, visit Report for America online at reportforamerica.org.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

KC Blotter newsletter: Crime, courts, more

Stay up-to-date on crime, courts and other stories from around the Kansas City region. Delivered to your inbox every morning, Monday-Saturday.

SIGN UP

This story was originally published May 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Cortlynn Stark
The Kansas City Star
Cortlynn Stark writes about finance and the economy for The Sum. She is a Certified Financial Education Instructor℠ with the National Financial Educators Council. She previously covered City Hall for The Kansas City Star and joined The Star in January 2020 as a breaking news reporter. Cortlynn studied journalism and Spanish at Missouri State University.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER