Victim dies from shooting in KU Hospital doorway; 2 dead in murder-suicide

A man who was gunned down Monday night in the vestibule of the University of Kansas Hospital has died from his wounds, according to police.

The man and a woman were chased to the entrance of the hospital about 11:30 p.m. by an armed man who fatally shot the male victim, injured the woman, and then shot himself to death.

The wounded man had been in critical condition overnight, and Kansas City, Kan., police announced Tuesday that the man had died. Police identified him as Dominic Garcia, 28.

The shooting appeared to have stemmed from a domestic dispute, according to Kansas City, Kan., Police Chief Terry Zeigler.

On Tuesday, the hospital was operating normally, according to hospital officials. It never stopped admitting patients during the shooting and the police investigation that stretched into the early morning hours.

Police were first called about 11:30 p.m. Monday to a shooting at Seventh Street and Osage Avenue. Soon after, they were called to the shooting at the hospital, according to Officer Tom Tomasic, a police spokesman.

It appeared to investigators that two victims, a man and a woman, who had been injured in the Seventh Street shooting drove themselves to the hospital seeking help, Tomasic said. They were being pursued by a suspected shooter.

At the hospital, the male victim got out of his vehicle and tried to run inside the hospital’s main entrance. The entrance, however, was secured as normal for late-night hours, according to a statement from the hospital.

The suspect followed, and when he caught up with the victim, shot him again at the doors.

The suspect then shot himself, Tomasic said.

The woman who had been in the vehicle with the male victim suffered minor injuries.

No other suspects were thought to be at large.

No hospital staff were injured or involved in the incident, Tomasic said.

The shooting at the door of the major hospital alarmed many people, including Congresswoman-elect Sharice Davids, who will take office next month representing the northeast Kansas district.

She had voiced support for new gun control measures on the campaign trail.

“I’m saddened by the incident … and am thinking of the victims and their loved ones,” Davids said. “My team has been in touch with local law enforcement and officials at the hospital to offer whatever support they need. We don’t know all the facts about what happened in this case yet, but we do know that gun violence and domestic violence are far too common and we need to do more to stop them.”

Kansas Gov.-elect Laura Kelly expressed concerns for the victims and their families, and spoke of the challenges in keeping hospitals safe.

“I’m grateful for the KUMed Center Police for keeping those in the hospital safe, and for the brave doctors, nurses and hospital workers who continued to help patients throughout the incident,” she said. “We’ve made some progress in securing state hospitals, but it’s important for law enforcement and other stakeholders to continue to work together to indentify challenges. I look forward to those discussions.”

The Star’s Washington correspondent Bryan Lowry and the Wichita Eagle’s Jonathan Shorman contributed to this report.

Read Next