Crime

Man fatally shot by KCK police had won a 2016 excessive force settlement with KCPD

A man who was shot and killed by a Kansas City, Kan., police officer Wednesday had previously won a $300,000 excessive force settlement from police across the state line in Kansas City.

Manuel G. Palacio, 27, was the man fatally shot by the police officer, his attorney confirmed on Thursday morning. Attorney Tom Porto had represented Palacio in the excessive force case and said he has been in contact with the family since the shooting Wednesday.

"I was heartbroken when I heard about the circumstances surrounding Manuel's tragic death," Porto told The Star Thursday. "He was very much a family man who will be missed by many."

The shooting occurred when the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department's violent crimes task force attempted to arrest Palacio about 5 p.m. in the 2400 block of Wood Avenue, according to a statement from the police department. The location is near the New Chelsea Elementary School at 24th Street and Wood Avenue.

Police said that members of the task force were conducting a narcotics investigation in the area. While making an arrest, an armed man confronted officers. During the confrontation, police shot and killed the man.

Police have not yet identified Palacio as the man shot during the incident.

Palacio_fitted.jpeg
Manuel Palacio Photo courtesy of Tom Porto

The officer who shot the man is a 21-year veteran of the department, police said. He was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation into the shooting.

The shooting is being investigated by the department's major case unit and will be reviewed by its officer-involved critical incident team.

Kansas City, Kan., Police Chief Terry Zeigler said on Twitter that all of the officers involved in the shooting were OK.

Years earlier, Palacio had sued Kansas City police, alleging that officers used excessive force even though he complied with their commands during a 2014 arrest that was captured on dashcam video. At the time, Palacio was a suspect in a robbery.

Palacio said the arresting officers drove his head into the ground and verbally threatened him during the incident that happened on May 2, 2014, at Independence and Cypress avenues.

The case resulted in a settlement in which Kansas City police did not admit liability or wrongdoing. The lawsuit named Officers Shannon Hansen and Jacob Harris and Sgt. Todd Hall.

None of the three officers are still with the Police Department, according to Officer Darin Snapp, a police spokesman.

In May 2016, Hansen pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of harassment and was sentenced to two years of probation along with 30 days of shock time in jail.

In October 2015, Palacio was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to stealing. He was released on parole in October of last year.

Read Next

Read Next

Read Next

Robert A. Cronkleton: 816-234-4261, @cronkb
  Comments