Crime

Escapee from Leavenworth prison turns himself in

Timothy Taylor
Timothy Taylor

Authorities say an inmate has turned himself in after walking away from a minimum-security federal prison camp in Leavenworth.

The U.S. Bureau of Prisons said in a release Sunday that 41-year-old Timothy Taylor turned himself in late Saturday night and is back in the Bureau of Prisons’ custody. The department did not provide details about how or where Taylor surrendered.

Taylor was found missing from the Federal Prison Camp at Leavenworth late Friday night. The department says Taylor was serving a 10-year sentence on a drug charge out of the western federal district of Missouri.

During Taylor’s sentencing hearing in November 2009, the judge recommended that Taylor be provided a 500-hour drug treatment program while in prison. Taylor had been scheduled for release in July 2018 and was to serve five years of supervised release after that, according to online records.

There were no details about how Taylor managed to leave the Leavenworth site, which has about 400 male inmates.

This story was originally published November 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM with the headline "Escapee from Leavenworth prison turns himself in."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER