The last time MTV presented an awards show, Miley Cyrus put the word “twerking” into your grandma’s vocabulary.
No such Video Awards buzzed-about moments were to be had at Sunday night’s 22nd MTV Movie Awards. In his opening monologue, host Conan O’Brien even admitted he was being upstaged by Internet star Grumpy Cat, who was sleeping in the front row, wearing a version of Pharrell Williams’ hat from the Grammy Awards.
Hometown fans were hoping Jason Sudeikis would win best comedic performance for “We’re the Millers.” The comedy did win breakthrough performance (for Will Poulter, revealing his British accent) and best kiss (Poulter, Jennifer Aniston AND Emma Roberts). But sadly, our man from Overland Park lost to Jonah Hill of “The Wolf of Wall Street.”
Still, the two-hour-plus show did offer some highlights:
• Hill, presenting the trailblazer award, of all things, to his “21 Jump Street” co-star, Channing Tatum, said what we were all thinking: “What’s a more trailblazing experience than a gorgeous man becoming a movie star?”
• O’Brien strutted out in a fake muscle suit, saying, “I was originally in the best shirtless category, but I said to the others, ‘It’s just not fair.’ ” Zac Efron won the category for “That Awkward Moment,” and presenter Rita Ora obliged his adoring fans by ripping his shirt open. Twitter went wild.
• Continuing that theme, the stars of “The Other Woman” presented the award for best male performance. “Men,” said Leslie Mann. “We love them. We respect them. But we rarely get to objectify them.” To Leonardo DiCaprio: “I would so wolf down your Wall Street.” And so on. Josh Hutcherson won for “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.” (Co-star Jennifer Lawrence, who didn’t attend, won female performance.)
• “The Hunger Games” went on to win movie of the year, and Hutcherson thanked his co-star, Philip Seymour Hoffman, who died in February: “We think about him every day on set. So wherever he is, this goes out to him as well.” The evening also included a sweet video montage to the late Paul Walker.
• Orlando Bloom, who won best fight for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: “I really want to thank the Orcs, because, seriously, inside each of those gnarly, dirty, sweaty latex suits was a stunt man and woman who nearly killed themselves every day on set just to make sure we looked good.”
• Before presenting the best kiss award, “Neighbors” stars Seth Rogen, Dave Franco and Efron gave kisses to three “lucky” audience members. But one of the “winners” turned out to be Rogen’s mom. That didn’t stop Rogen from planting a big wet one. Eww.
• Mila Kunis won best villain for “Oz the Great and Powerful,” beating the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch and Oscar nominee Michael Fassbender. Said she: “I was the only woman nominated, and I won.” Yup.
• Jared Leto already won an Oscar for playing a cross-dressing AIDS victim in “Dallas Buyers Club,” and Sunday he nabbed the MTV Movie Award for best on-screen transformation. He used the opportunity to champion gay rights: “Love who you want to love, live how you wish to live and never let anyone ever stop you from turning your dreams into your reality.”