Coronavirus closures popping up for KC retail; restaurants bracing for what’s next
Sunday afternoon, the Nike store on the Country Club Plaza had a sign on its front door: “As a precautionary safety measure, we are unable to offer public restrooms.”
By Monday morning the sign had been swapped out for another: “The health of athletes around the world is our top priority. Beginning March 15th we’ll be temporarily closing stores in select countries through March 27th.”
Amid concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, other retailers also are temporarily closed or have cut back hours. Some, like H&M, have closed fitting rooms while extending their return policy. Several chains are encouraging customers to shop online.
Monday afternoon, Baldwin announced temporary closings of its Plaza and Leawood stores saying it was “taking things day by day; for the safety of our team and community we must do our part in creating space for people to stay home and well.”
And area restaurants, after seeing traffic crater over the weekend, are working on solutions to maintain at least some business as customers choose to stay away.
Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas has suspended all gatherings of 50 or more people in Kansas City for the next eight weeks. Restaurants were feeling the repercussions even before that news.
Dan McCall, partner in District Pour House + Kitchen in Waldo, did less than half the business he normally does on the weekends.
“We’re just dead. It’s brutal,” he said “I’m going to have to cut (employees’) hours, going to have to lay off people. They have no safety net. It’s a feeling of helplessness. It weighs on me.”
As restaurant traffic plummets, operations are looking at new ways to serve customers.
Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que restaurants — in Leawood, Olathe and Kansas City, Kansas — are offering curbside pick-up. Customers call in their order and pay over the phone, and Joe’s gives them a pick-up time. Employees bring orders to customers’ cars. The Russell on Main Street also is offering curbside gloved delivery to customers’ cars, as well as dine-in.
The new Strang Hall food hall in downtown Overland Park has online ordering for a family-style carry-out menu, including an appetizer, a salad and pasta entree. Food runners will provide curbside service.
Em Chamas Brazilian Grill in the Northland is no longer letting customers serve themselves. Instead, only employees handle and serve food at its salad bar and buffet. Another Northland eatery, Cascone’s Italian Restaurant, is doing 10 menu items for $10 each, carry-out only, changing it up daily. Tuesday’s menu will include chicken Spedini and baked lasagna.
The Brick — a bar, restaurant and live music venue in the Crossroads — has canceled shows through the end of April. It removed bar stools at the bar, and tables are at least six feet apart. Condiments have been removed from the tables.
“Every time a guest grabs a menu, ketchup, mustard, everything is cleaned,” said owner Sherri Parr. “I’m trying to take care of people in the neighborhood and my staff.”
The Brick will only be open during lunch St. Patrick’s Day with a corned beef and cabbage special, along with the regular menu.
“Everything as normal as possible while keeping people safe,” Parr said.
Lidia’s Kansas City in the Crossroads first was offering delivery within a 10-mile radius, but then announced Monday morning that it would temporarily shut down until April 1.
McCall with District Pour House said he would like to see the government issue a temporary shutdown. Then his employees could apply for unemployment and his insurance might pay out for a business interruption. His landlords in Waldo and at his Classic Cup Cafe on the Country Club Plaza also may then give him a break on rent.
This story was originally published March 16, 2020 at 11:37 AM.