New carry-on bag guidelines are put on hold
Your carry-ons are safe for now.
The trade group for global airlines is reassessing its much-criticized guidelines for handheld luggage after suggesting last week that the bags become smaller. That idea has been put on hold.
“Significant concerns were expressed in North America,” the International Air Transport Association said in a statement. “This is clearly an issue that is close to the heart of travelers. We need to get it right.”
American Airlines Group, United Continental Holdings and Delta Air Lines, the three largest U.S. carriers, said they had no plans to follow the guidelines or reduce size allowances for carry-on bags.
“We are concerned IATA called for a change without input from the airlines,” Delta said in a statement before the trade group’s statement.
Bloomberg News
This story was originally published June 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM with the headline "New carry-on bag guidelines are put on hold."