LAWRENCE – The owners of a Lawrence pet store are vowing to rebuild it following a fire that killed an undisclosed number of animals and injured dozens more.
The Lawrence Journal-World reports that fire department officials say they have yet to determine a cause in the Monday fire at Pet World, 711 W. 23rd St.
Co-owner Sherry Emerson said in a statement posted on the business’ website that the blaze broke out in the store’s backroom, likely near the electrical panels.
She said she would “not be announcing a death toll any time soon.”
While many fish, reptiles and arachnids survived the fire, Emerson said a number of mammals and birds died from the fumes. Snakes that died were removed from the store and will be buried.