The world’s richest person got even richer this year.
Forbes says that Bill Gates’s net worth rose to $79.2 billion in 2015 from $76 billion last year. That put him at the top of the magazine’s list of the world’s billionaires for the second consecutive year. The co-founder of Microsoft Corp. has topped the list for 16 of the last 21 years.
In second place is telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu, with a net worth of $77.1 billion. He had topped the list in 2013.
Next is investor Warren Buffett, who moved up one slot this year with a net worth of $72.7 billion.
Brothers Charles and David Koch of Wichita were ranked sixth, each with net worth’s of $42.9 billion. Members of the Walton retailing family were ranked eighth, ninth and eleventh by Forbes.
The list included five from the Kansas City area:
▪ Min Kao, co-founder of Garmin Ltd., No. 603 with a net worth of $3 billion.
▪ Gary Burrell, who also co-founded Garmin, No. 1,006 with a net worth of $1.9 billion.
▪ Neal Patterson, chairman and chief executive of Cerner Corp., No. 1,006 with a net worth of $1.9 billion.
▪ Donald Hall, chairman of Hallmark Cards Inc., No. 1,415 with a net worth of $1.3 billion.
▪ Clifford Illig, Cerner co-founder, No. 1605 with a net worth of $1.2 billion.
Forbes says there were 1,826 billionaires on its list this year, up from 1,645 in 2014. It’s the 29th year for Forbes billionaires’ list.