There was quite a hubbub last week when a CBS Sports report said the Royals had “no chance” of signing left fielder Alex Gordon.
Of course, the full sentence is: The Royals have been told by Alex Gordon’s camp that, as things currently stand, they have “no chance” to retain star left fielder Alex Gordon, sources said.
That’s a totally different slant on things, given that teams often increase their offer to a player as negotiations continue.
At a baseball camp in Omaha, Neb., Gordon told the Lincoln Journal Star and the Omaha World Herald on Monday there was “no truth,” to the report that the Royals have no chance to sign him.
“Right now I’m unemployed and I pay an agent 4 percent to make the calls, take the calls and let me know what’s going on,” Gordon told the Journal Star.
You can read more in the Journal Star story here.
“Right now I’m talking with a lot of teams,” Gordon told the World Herald. “I just want to make the best decision for me and my family.”
Gordon also added: “The Royals are still in the mix. I know what’s going on behind the scenes, and I’m dealing with it the best I can.”
You can read more in the Omaha World Herald story here.
Gordon, who was the Royals’ top pick in the 2005 draft (No. 2 overall), has played nine seasons in Kansas City. In 2015, Gordon had a slash line of .271/.377/.432 and was named to the All-Star team for a third straight season. He will turn 32 in February.