Royals add starting pitching depth with signing of right-hander Yohan Pino
The Royals have signed pitcher Yohan Pino, who went 2-5 as a starter for the Twins last season, to a free-agent contract. Terms were not disclosed.
Pino, 30, a right-hander, made his major-league debut in 2014 and posted a 5.07 ERA in 11 starts. He walked 14 and recorded 50 strikeouts in 60 1/3 innings.
“We like his ability to throw strikes,” Royals general manager Dayton Moore said. “He’s a fly-ball pitcher, so that fits our defense well.”
Moore said Pino could be a candidate as a fifth starter or long reliever.
“He gives the organization depth,” Moore said.
Pino went 10-2 for Class AAA Rochester last season, holding opponents to a .180 batting average. He was signed by the Twins in 2004 and in 155 minor-league starts compiled an 84-57 record. He also pitched in the Indians, Blue Jays and Reds organizations.
To make room for Pino on the 40-man roster, the Royals designated right-handed pitcher Casey Coleman for assignment.
Acquiring starting pitching was a priority for the Royals after their World Series run. The club has maintained contact with James Shields, but the chance of a reunion appears slim.
With Jon Lester’s six-year, $155 million signing with the Cubs on Monday, Max Scherzer and Shields are the top two starting pitchers on the free-agent market who remained unsigned.
Last week, the Royals agreed to terms with designated hitter Kendrys Morales on a two-year deal worth $17 million, but that acquisition hasn’t been officially announced.
To reach Blair Kerkhoff, call 816-234-4730 or send email to bkerkhoff@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BlairKerkhoff.
This story was originally published December 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM with the headline "Royals add starting pitching depth with signing of right-hander Yohan Pino."