Pull out the calendars. Kansas’ nonconference basketball schedule is officially set for 2014-15.
The Jayhawks were already poised to play nonconference matchups with Kentucky, Florida, Georgetown, Temple and Utah. But the rest of the schedule became public on Tuesday morning, when the school released the full 13-game nonconference slate. It begins Nov. 14, when UC Santa Barbara travels to Allen Fieldhouse for the start of the regular season. And then it starts to heat up. Kansas is set to face presumptive preseason No. 1 Kentucky at the Champions Classic in Indianapolis on Nov. 14, and play a rematch with Florida in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge on Dec. 5 at Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks will travel to Georgetown on Dec. 10 and Temple on Dec. 22. KU will also play host to UNLV on Jan. 4 at Allen Fieldhouse and face Pac-12 foe Utah in KU’s annual home game at the Sprint Center on Dec. 13.
“Obviously, next year’s nonconference will be very challenging,” Kansas coach Bill Self said in a news release. “We always play a good schedule, but this past year was rated by many to be about as tough of a nonconference schedule that a team has played in years. Certainly, next year’s schedule will be one of the better nonconference schedules that anyone in America plays, as well.”
KU will play three games at the Orlando (Fla.) Classic beginning Nov. 27, where the Jayhawks may be in line to face a reloading Michigan State team. The eight-team field also features Georgia Tech, Marquette, Rhode Island, Rider, Santa Clara and Tennessee. The bracket has not been released.
“When you think about two teams that were in the Final Four last year with Kentucky and Florida,” Self said, “then you throw in the Orlando Classic, which is loaded, including Michigan State. “Then on the road at Georgetown and Temple along with other tough nonconference contests like Utah and UNLV, all of those will certainly prepare our guys to make another strong push at a conference championship.”
Kansas also announced that the annual “Late Night in the Phog” will be Oct. 10. Additionally, the Jayhawks will play exhibition games against Washburn on Nov. 4 and Emporia State on Nov. 11.
2014-15 Kansas nonconference hoops schedule
• Nov. 4, Tuesday, vs. Washburn (exh.) in Lawrence
• Nov. 11, Tuesday, vs. Emporia State (exh.) in Lawrence
• Nov. 14, Friday, vs. UC Santa Barbara in Lawrence
• Nov. 18, Tuesday, vs. Kentucky at Champions Classic in Indianapolis
• Nov. 24, Monday, vs. Rider in Lawrence
• Nov. 27, Thursday, vs. TBA at Orlando Classic in Florida
• Nov. 28, Friday, Orlando Classic semifinal round in Florida
• Nov. 30, Sunday, Orlando Classic championship round in Florida
• Dec. 5, Friday, vs. Florida at SEC/Big 12 Challenge in Lawrence
• Dec. 10, Wednesday, at Georgetown in Washington, D.C.
• Dec. 13, Saturday, vs. Utah at the Sprint Center
• Dec. 20, Saturday, vs. Lafayette in Lawrence
• Dec. 22, Monday, at Temple in Philadelphia
• Dec. 30, Tuesday, vs. Kent State in Lawrence
• Jan. 4, Sunday, vs. UNLV in Lawrence