A house fire in south Kansas City Saturday night caused the death of a 78-year-old woman, according to family members.
Wanda Bucklinger died from injuries she sustained in the fire at her home near 116th Street and McKinley Avenue, west of Longview Lake. Her husband, Frank Bucklinger, was hospitalized after the fire but was released Sunday.
Kansas City Fire Department crews responded to the fire shortly after 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Fire officials have not released information about the cause of the fire.
Wanda Bucklinger’s brother, Bud Stark, said family members told him the fire started in the couple’s computer room. Frank and Wanda Bucklinger both tried to flee the home, but Wanda Bucklinger had difficulty getting out.
Never miss a local story.
A neighbor kicked in a patio door and helped the elderly woman out.
Stark said the couple were not burned but that Wanda Bucklinger suffered injuries from smoke inhalation.
The couple had lived in the house for nearly 30 years, Stark said.