As we prepare to be slimed by the “Ghostbusters” remake opening Friday, let’s take a fond look back at the best lines from the 1984 original.
As you might expect, Bill Murray, at his career peak as Peter Venkman, delivers most of them, with a lovable smirk. But he’s only playing off his comedic co-stars: Dan Aykroyd as Raymond Stantz and Harold Ramis as Egon Spengler — those two wrote the script — and Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddmore. They all deliver one zinger after another.
Tough to choose, but here are the 10 best:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Peter Venkman: “We came! We saw! We kicked its ass!”
▪ Egon Spengler, on the proper way to fire their proton guns: “Don’t. Cross. The streams. It would be bad.”
▪ Winston Zeddmore: Since I joined these men, I have seen s*** that will turn you white.”
▪ Venkman, warning the mayor of imminent disaster: “Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!”
▪ Venkman, on hearing about the demon dog in the fridge of his client (Sigourney Weaver): “Generally you don’t see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.”
▪ Ray Stantz, on the monster supernaturally created from his memories: “I tried to think of something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft!”
▪ Venkman: “Now there’s something you don’t see every day.”
▪ Venkman, gazing at the Statue of Liberty: “Kinda makes you wonder, doesn’t it? … Whether she’s naked under that toga. She’s French. You know that.”
▪ Venkman: “I love this plan. I’m excited to be a part of it. Let’s do it!”
▪ Venkman: “Let’s show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown.”