Father’s Day spent cleaning up mess after storms down trees, knock out power

Like many in Kansas City, Trevor Vanscriver of Kansas City, North, had an unexpected Father’s Day activity waiting for him Sunday.

Picking up up tree limbs — it was not what he had planned for his day.

That was before Saturday’s severe storms swept through the Kansas City area, downing trees and limbs and knocking out power to thousands across the metropolitan area.

“It was just sticks and leaves everywhere,” Vanscriver said of his deck, which was covered in debris. “It was a jungle to go through.”

Vanscriver and his girlfriend, Paige Welsh, were rushing to get the yard picked up before he had to pick up his daughter from church.

Vanscriver was not alone. Many found their Father’s Day activities altered as they dealt with the loss of power and the storm debris.

Tessa Macan of Kansas City, North, was feeling very fortunate. Although there was a pile of downed limbs in her front yard, her huge cottonwood tree was still standing.

“The reason I bought this house is the tree,” she said.

Although she and her boyfriend, Lynn Davis, were clearing limbs that that had fallen, she remained in good spirits despite the lack of power.

“It’s a beautiful day,” she said. “And my roof is not damaged.”

Kansas City Power & Light said on Twitter that it had a peak of 93,000 customers without power. Some of the hardest-hit areas included Jackson, Clay and Johnson counties.

On Sunday evening the utility tweeted that progress had been made in restoring power to many.

“Currently, we have about 20,000 customers without power, down from about 95,000 early this morning,” KCP&L said. “We do expect outages to continue on Mon(day).”

The cities with the most outages in the morning included Kansas City, with 30,131 customers without power; Gladstone, 4,322; Blue Springs, 3,644; Overland Park, 2,833; Shawnee, 1,818; and Raytown, 1,355.

As of Sunday afternoon, more than 34,000 remained without power. KCP&L said it expected that some customers would be without power into Monday evening.

Independence Power & Light reported that more than 700 customers were without power Sunday morning. The Kansas City, Kan., Board of Public Utilities reported that more than 5,400 customers were without power.

A weak tornado was part of the storm that moved through the area Saturday night.

The National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill said on Twitter that an EF-0 tornado touched down about 9:47 p.m. northeast of Oak Grove. The tornado traveled about 5 miles, causing tree and shingle damage.

In Kansas City, the Boulevardia festival in Kansas City’s Stockyards District ended early Saturday night when the arriving storms damaged tents and fences.

On Sunday, Shawnee residents waited in long lines to get rid of debris at a city drop-off point.

“I’ve been here for an hour and 15 minutes so far,” said Jim McCourt of Shawnee who was hauling debris to a drop-off site near Renner Road and Johnson Drive. “I’m almost to the pile.”

McCourt said he had another load to haul away too.

“I think I was in line longer that it took to fill the truck,” he said.

Mike and Tamia Appleberry of Overland Park were watching the Kansas City Royals game Saturday night when storms blew through.

“We heard a large crash and it (a tree) came down right on the house,” Mike Appleberry said.

The tree cam through the spare bedroom and punched as many as 10 major holes in the attic. The house sustained water damage.

“The first thing we thought was, ‘Thank God our granddaughters aren’t here,’” said Tamia Appleberry. “That’s the bedroom they stay in when they spend the night. The tree came down right over where the bed was.”

Robert A. Cronkleton: 816-234-4261, @cronkb

Related stories from Kansas City Star