You’d be hard-pressed to find even the most die-hard Colts fans who thinks this is going to happen.
Thanks to Denver’s overtime win over the Bengals on Monday night, Indianapolis has a chance to make the playoffs. The thing is, nine games on Sunday have to go a certain way for the Colts to make the playoffs.
1. The 7-8 Colts have to beat the 3-12 Titans.
2. The 5-10 Jaguars have to win at the 8-7 Texans.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
3. The 7-8 Raiders have to beat the 10-5 Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.
4. The 9-6 Steelers have to win at 3-12 Cleveland.
5. The 11-4 Broncos have to beat the 4-11 Chargers.
6. The 8-7 Falcons have to win at 6-9 New Orleans. (Yes, an NFC game is a factor)
7. The 7-8 Bills have to beat the 10-5 Jets.
8. The 5-10 Dolphins have to beat the 12-3 Patriots.
9. The 5-10 Ravens have to win at 11-4 Cincinnati.
Change even one of those games, and the Texans win the division. Crazy to think that Atlanta-New Orleans holds the part of the Colts’ fate.
If that all happens, the Chiefs would be the No. 5 seed and would open the playoffs at No. 4 Indianapolis.
Needing nine of the 16 games being played this weekend to have a certain outcome is why this Twitter meme was made:
Let’s just say that confidence is not high at the moment among anyone who follows the Colts, football or maybe even sports: