For Pete's Sake

Cris Collinsworth offers odd reason for why Chiefs should draft a QB in first round

NBC Sunday Night Football analyst Cris Collinsworth during the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game between the Denver Broncos and the Atlanta Falcons at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.
NBC Sunday Night Football analyst Cris Collinsworth during the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game between the Denver Broncos and the Atlanta Falcons at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. USA TODAY Sports

We’ve hit that point where the NFL Draft really needs to start.

Pundits have churned out more than a hundred mock drafts since the Chiefs won Super Bowl LVII, and it’s time for the speculation to end.

This week has seen some unexpected developments regarding the Chiefs.

A Sports Illustrated writer said there’s a chance the Chiefs could take a running back with the 31st and final pick of the 2023 NFL Draft at Union Station.

Given Isiah Pacheco’s successful rookie season, that seems like an odd move for the Chiefs, who have greater needs on the offensive and defensive lines and at wide receiver.

On Tuesday, NBC Sports broadcaster Cris Collinsworth took part in the Pro Football Focus mock draft and had the Chiefs taking a quarterback at No. 31.

Collinsworth, who is PFF’s owner and chairman, offered an odd reason for why the Chiefs should take Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker: quarterback Patrick Mahomes might get hurt.

“I couldn’t leave Hendon Hooker out,” Collinsworth said. “I like him too much. I started thinking about this thing and I go, ‘You know what? The only thing that really knocks the Chiefs out of contention is if something happens to Patrick for four or five games.’

“They did fine last year in the playoff game with their backup quarterback coming in there. But if you get Hendon Hooker for the next five years by taking him Lamar Jacksonlike at the end of the first round, so you get him for the extra year, which you’re going to need.”

Collinsworth ticked off reasons why Hooker would be a risky pick: he had an ACL injury in November and is 25 years old.

“Anytime a quarterback comes in and a program gets lifted, clearly Tennessee got lifted with him playing quarterback and got competitive in the SEC,” Collinsworth said. “So there’s my backup emergency plan for five games for Kansas City.”

Here’s Collinsworth from the mock draft.

Follow More of Our Reporting on 2023 NFL Draft in Kansas City

Pete Grathoff
The Kansas City Star
From covering the World Series to the World Cup, Pete Grathoff has done a little bit of everything since joining The Kansas City Star in 1997.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER