For Pete's Sake

Former KC Chiefs lineman Mitchell Schwartz says Deshaun Watson deal ‘just seems wrong’

Right tackle Mitchell Schwartz with the Cleveland Browns.
Right tackle Mitchell Schwartz with the Cleveland Browns. The Associated Press

Under normal circumstances, a player being traded in exchange for three first-round picks and then being awarded the richest contract in NFL history would lead to a discussion about football and financial side of the deal.

But the Cleveland Browns’ acquisition of quarterback Deshaun Watson from the Texans has led to talk about moralities.

A grand jury on March 11 declined to criminally charge Watson, who has been accused of sexual misconduct during massage sessions. But 22 civil suits filed by women who allege sexual misconduct against Watson are still pending.

Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam said in a statement: “Our team’s comprehensive evaluation process was of the utmost importance due to the sensitive nature of his situation and the complex factors involved. We also understand there are some legal proceedings ongoing and we will respect due process.”

Watson, who didn’t play for the Texans last season, still could face disciplinary action by the NFL.

Many national writers expressed concern about the Browns’ deal and that other teams were angling to trade for Watson.

Former Chiefs offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz, who began his career with the Browns in 2012, was among those saying he didn’t like the Watson deal.

Schwartz shared his thoughts on Twitter.

“The Watson trade and contract still doesn’t feel right to me. Do we have any clarity on the 22 lawsuits against him? From what I’ve seen, by @bylindsayhjones+ @JennyVrentas + @minakimes especially, the grand jury non-indictment doesn’t mean much, and surely doesn’t absolve him,” Schwartz wrote.

“The $1m base salary the first year feels slimy and wrong. And look, I follow contracts, I understand that most deals have a big signing bonus and relatively low base salary the first year. Mine did. But this feels purposeful. He got paid millions last year to not play as well.

“Now he’s traded for three first round picks, signs the biggest guaranteed contract of all time, and breaks lots of contract precedent to do it. And yet he’s got 22 civil cases against him and the NFL will most likely still suspend him. There’s strong corroborating evidence.

“Who knows if it was actually Cleveland’s words saying they want “an adult” at QB. They sure haven’t pushed back on that if not, have they? My imagery of an adult at QB doesn’t include someone getting sued by 22 women for sexual assault or sexual misconduct.

“My hope is that if the NFL suspends him, the team is able to void the contract. In the NFL it seems like unless there’s video evidence, the league doesn’t react very strongly. It’s like we don’t trust something happened unless we see it, and that’s how the NFL bases punishment.

“We’ll see on that, the NFL clearly been slow playing it. They might determine this is all true and suspend him for a year or who knows how long. The 22 lawsuits Watson faces aren’t gone. He’s not absolved. But teams/fans/whoever are treating him as innocent. It just seems wrong.

“And @PFF_Brad just showed me an article saying the team structured the deal to protect Watson’s money should he be suspended. Which is even worse! Going out of your way to protect a guy who might suspended for sexually assaulting or harassing 22+ women? No, don’t like that at all”

Here are the tweets from Schwartz.

Pete Grathoff
The Kansas City Star
From covering the World Series to the World Cup, Pete Grathoff has done a little bit of everything since joining The Kansas City Star in 1997.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER