For Pete's Sake

Chargers’ Melvin Ingram is ‘holding in’ at training camp as he wants a new contract

Well, HBO’s “Hard Knocks” should be entertaining.

“Hard Knocks” is at Chargers and Rams training camp this year, and there likely will be some shots of defensive end Melvin Ingram not practicing.

Ingram, 31, has made the Pro Bowl in each of the last three seasons and is healthy. But per the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Friday “company business” was keeping Ingram from practicing.

“I’m just gonna leave it at that because I don’t have to talk about it right now, you know what I mean?” Lynn said Monday. “Gotta lot of other things I gotta get done, and I don’t really want to spend a lot of time talking about that.”

But Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network said Tuesday that Ingram is “holding in” at camp.

Here is how Rapoport explained that term “holding in:” “Well, the CBA, the way it is constructed now basically bans holdouts. We did not see any this year despite several big-name players wanting new contracts. Instead, because the holdout is so punitive, what you get now is the ‘hold in,’ which is a player showing up to training camp, still wanting a new contract, not saying too much, but not doing too much either, and Melvin Ingram, the standout pass rusher for the Los Angeles Chargers, is in that category right now.”

Per OverTheCap.com, Ingram is due to make $14 million this season in the final year of his contract with the Chargers.

Ingram’s teammate Joey Bosa signed a five-year, $135 million contract extension last month.

That apparently didn’t go unnoticed by Ingram.

“Certainly this is something the Chargers are aware of, it is something that is in the plans for Melvin Ingram,” Rapoport said. “We’ll see if the Chargers end up digging in and giving him a new contract but as of right now, he is ‘holding in’ rather than holding out.”

Here is the clip of Rapoport talking about Ingram:

Pete Grathoff
The Kansas City Star
From covering the World Series to the World Cup, Pete Grathoff has done a little bit of everything since joining The Kansas City Star in 1997.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER