For Pete's Sake

Chiefs offensive linemen confident they’ll be kept safe if they play during pandemic

Of the five major professional sports leagues, the NFL would seem to be the least suited to playing games during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Each play features bodies colliding, with most of that activity happening in the trenches where offensive lineman block their defensive counterparts.

Social distancing, of course, is impossible in such situations.

But with the NFL season set to start in eight weeks, Chiefs offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher are confident steps are being taken to ensure their safety.

“I’m a control what you can control kind of guy and obviously there are a bunch of professionals making decisions for us,” Fisher said in a phone interview. “There’s just so much information out there from all different angles, and I’ve just taken it upon myself to be ready when I’m called upon, and I know we’ll be put in safe situations.

“It’ll be interesting though. It’s kind of hard to even say what’s gonna happen just with as much information that’s out there. I know there’s a lot of ideas being bounced around. So we’ll see what happens.”

Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz addressed the situation in separate interviews as part of their endorsement deals with Kingsford Hardwood Pellets.

Schwartz is well aware of the pandemic’s toll. More than 3.3 million people have been infected with 135,000 deaths. Contracting the coronavirus at practice and spreading it to family members is a worst-case scenario.

“I know the health and safety of us is kind of paramount,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz shared insights on some of the potential safety steps the league and the players’ association have discussed.

“Nothing has been 100% decided on between the NFL and the PA,” he said. “But I know a lot of stuff has been talked about, the health-related issues and making sure we’re staying safe, (wearing) masks, distancing, trying to limit large groups if possible.

“There’s been talk about making sure at the different parts of practice that there aren’t too many people doing one drill. Things that you would kind of consider sacrilegious in the football world and everything’s on the table now.

“Yeah, there’s concern, but I also feel good that we’ve got the right people in charge doing it. Our trainer, Rick Burkholder, is kind of cutting edge with a lot of his health and safety initiatives and advice and so I know he wouldn’t sign off on anything that puts us at risk.”

The Chiefs announced last week that there will be reduced capacity at Arrowhead Stadium for the early part of the season. That means when the Chiefs open against the Houston on Sept. 10, there won’t be a full house to see the Super Bowl celebration.

Fisher, though, thinks no matter how many Chiefs fans are on hand they’ll make their presence known.

“Obviously it’s gonna be different,” Fisher said. “You know Chiefs Kingdom has the loudest fans so how ever many are allowed, I bet those are going to be some loud people. They take passion in bringing the noise for us. Whatever the situation is, I know we’re gonna make the most of it.”

Pete Grathoff
The Kansas City Star
From covering the World Series to the World Cup, Pete Grathoff has done a little bit of everything since joining The Kansas City Star in 1997.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER