For Pete's Sake

Aldon Smith released after reportedly entering rehab facility following police search

Former Mizzou linebacker Aldon Smith seemed to be getting his life in order last month when he got engaged and was focused on returning to the NFL.

Now Smith's playing days may be over after he was cut by the Raiders on Monday following a weekend incident. San Francisco police had been searching for Smith on Sunday after they arrived at the scene of a domestic-violence complaint.

“The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries,” a police report said, according to the Mercury News. “The suspect fled the scene prior to police arrival and was identified as professional football player Aldon Smith, a 28-year-old Oakland resident.”

On Monday, Smith's fiancée, Shawna McKnight, told TMZ that Smith was entering a rehabilitation facility.

"I wish the best for Aldon," she told TMZ. "And I'm scared for his life with his addiction. I cannot comment on the altercation, but I can tell you I love him and (am) so happy he turned to my family who considers him family, and hopefully he gets the help he truly needs."

Smith, who also was a star at Raytown High School, has had a number of legal issues since being a first-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2011.

There were three DUI allegations, a hit-and-run vandalism charge, illegal possession of an assault weapon and he was accused of making bomb threats at the Los Angeles airport. After being released by the 49ers in 2015, he signed with the Raiders and missed the final seven games of that season when the NFL issued a one-year suspension..

He hasn't played since those nine games with Oakland.

Smith checked into a rehab facility in 2016 after a video that appeared to show him with marijuana, although he denied it was him. A year ago, he was investigated for a domestic-violence incident.

On Sunday, Smith wrote in an odd Instagram post: "you all are wrong."

Wtfoh you all are wrong

A post shared by Aldon Smith (@aldonsmith) on

That came while police said they were searching for him after the incident.

According to the Mercury News, "the victim called police again, saying Smith bit her wrists and climbed out her window, possibly fleeing in a black Range Rover, according to dispatch audio reviewed by this news agency.

"The dispatcher said Smith was wearing a black 49ers sweatshirt and grey sweatpants.

"Minutes later, a San Francisco dispatcher says Smith had drank two bottles of tequila and was possibly heading back to his Oakland residence in his Range Rover. San Francisco officers planned to ask Oakland police for assistance."