LaVar Ball has gotten way more attention than he deserves, seemingly finding new ways each day to promote himself by saying something outrageous.
For those who are fortunately uniformed about Ball, he is the father of former UCLA basketball star Lonzo Ball, and dear old dad has tried to dictate where his son will play in the NBA, threatened a FS1 co-host and said he could have beaten Michael Jordan in a one-on-one game.
Sadly, that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Foot Locker played off that with a very funny commercial staring Lonzo Ball and other NBA Draft prospects Jayson Tatum, De’Aaron Fox and Jonathan Isaac talking about their memories of their dads just days before Father’s Day and the draft.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
While others talk about things like playing hoops with their dad or getting rides to games, Lonzo Ball offered up these gems:
▪ “Of course, there’s that big day when your dad berates your high school coach in front of an entire crowd for not getting you enough touches.”
▪ “Or that special moment when your dad sits you down and tells you where you’re going to college.”
▪ “He copyrights your name to make it a part of a family lifestyle brand.”
▪ “Went on ‘First Take’ and shouted back and forth with Stephen A. Smith about how you’re already better than the reigning league MVP.”
▪ “The public spats with the all-time greats.”
▪ “Then tells 29 out of 30 teams not to draft you.”
It’s awesome. Take a look.