Sporting KC unlikely to reach deal with Dutch midfielder Rafael van der Vaart, Vermes says
Sporting Kansas City has cooled its contract talks with Dutch midfielder Rafael van der Vaart, coach Peter Vermes told The Star on Friday, adding that the sides are "too far apart" on money.
Vermes and Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman visited Germany last month to scout van der Vaart, the captain of German Bundesliga club Hamburg, whose contract expires this summer. Afterwards, Heineman described Sporting Kansas City's interest as "very strong" and said he sensed the feeling was mutual.
Money changed the equation.
"It wouldn't make sense for us," Vermes said. "No disrespect to him, but it doesn't make sense for the kind of numbers we're talking."
Vermes said the two sides have maintained only limited communication over the past couple of weeks. Asked if the deal was dead, he responded, "Is anything ever completely dead?"
But he acknowledged the club has turned its attention elsewhere in its search for reinforcements on the attacking side of the field.
Vermes declined to offer specific names, but he has his eye on a pair of South American players, both of whom would qualify under designated-player status in MLS, he said.
To reach Sam McDowell, call 816-234-4869 or send email to smcdowell@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter @SamMcDowell11.
This story was originally published April 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM with the headline "Sporting KC unlikely to reach deal with Dutch midfielder Rafael van der Vaart, Vermes says."