Sporting KC, midfielder Peterson Joseph agree to part ways
Sporting Kansas City and Peterson Joseph agreed to terminate the midfielder’s contract, the club announced Monday.
Joseph, 24, did not appear in a match this season after being placed on the disabled list to open the year. He passed out during a training session in the midst of the club’s postseason run last fall and had not returned to the practice field since.
Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes said the club sent Joseph to New York over the offseason to meet with doctors and undergo a battery of tests, but they were unable to determine the cause of the issue.
“Nothing has changed. We’re not going to take any chances,” Vermes said last month.
Peterson also collapsed while training with the team during the 2012 season. The issue was initially attributed to dehydration.
Peterson, from Haiti, appeared in 36 Major League Soccer matches with Sporting KC, including two postseason games. He was scoreless with one assist.
His last appearance with the team came on Oct. 18.
His departure opens up an international roster spot for Sporting KC.
To reach Sam McDowell, call 816-234-4869 or send email to smcdowell@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter: @SamMcDowell11.
This story was originally published August 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM with the headline "Sporting KC, midfielder Peterson Joseph agree to part ways."