Kansas City is ‘very interested’ in holding NFL Draft
The NFL Draft is likely looking for a new home next year, and Kansas City is among cities that have expressed interest.
“Very interested,” Kansas City Sports Commission president and CEO Kathy Nelson said.
Kansas City has submitted an intent to bid and is awaiting instructions from the NFL on the next step.
The information sent by Kansas City includes examples of how the city has handled recent big events, including the parade to celebrate the Royals’ World Series championships, and demonstrates “how our city activates around large events,” Nelson said.
Media reports have called Philadelphia and Los Angeles the favorites to hold the event. Neither of the teams in those cities — the Eagles and Rams — own a first-round selection in 2017, but some wonder whether that would sap the event of the energy and local interest in the first night.
This year’s draft is the second in Chicago after it left New York, where it had been held since 1956. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has said it’s “very likely” the draft will move from Chicago after this year.
The NFL Draft has become a three-day event. Selections from Rounds 2 and 3 today will be announced by former players. Former Chiefs running back Tony Richardson, the latest addition to the team’s Hall of Fame, will announce the team’s second-round selection from Chicago. The Chiefs aren’t scheduled to have a third-round pick.
Rounds 4 to 7 will be held Saturday, with the fourth- and fifth-round picks being announced at the team’s facility or other sites unique to the market. The Chiefs’ announcements will occur at Whiteman Air Force Base near Knob Noster, Mo.
Blair Kerkhoff: 816-234-4730, @BlairKerkhoff
This story was originally published April 28, 2016 at 9:04 PM with the headline "Kansas City is ‘very interested’ in holding NFL Draft."