Chiefs coach Andy Reid stays mum on tampering charges
Chiefs coach Andy Reid addressed the media Tuesday for the first time since the NFL announced the penalties it levied against the team for tampering with Jeremy Maclin last year.
On a conference call, Reid noted that he did not have much to add beyond the statement Clark Hunt made to The Star on Monday — that the club has appealed the penalties.
The Chiefs are accused of contacting Maclin, then a Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver, during a time period that’s not allowed under league rules. Maclin signed with the Chiefs as a free agent before last season.
“Listen, I can’t say anything, because we’re in the process; that’s why Clark made the statement,” Reid said. “I would just leave it at that and let that statement hold its own, and then let the appeal process go through and what happens there, happens there.”
Reid was then asked a follow-up question about whether he feels the league is trying to make a statement with such a harsh penalty; the Chiefs will surrender their third-round pick this year and sixth-round pick next year if the ruling is not overturned.
The club was also fined $250,000, while Reid was fined $75,000 and general manager John Dorsey was fined $25,000.
“Yeah, listen, I can’t get into all that, and you understand that,” Reid said. “With the appeal process being what it is, I’m just staying away from all of the appeal questions I guess and let it just take place. And like I said, what happens, happens, and we’ll see how that rolls.”
Terez A. Paylor: 816-234-4489, @TerezPaylor. Download Red Zone Extra, The Star's Chiefs app.
This story was originally published March 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM with the headline "Chiefs coach Andy Reid stays mum on tampering charges."