Clark Hunt eager to see how Chiefs’ proposed rule changes play out
The Chiefs have submitted two rules proposals for discussion at this week’s NFL owners’ meetings and Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt is eager to see how it all plays out.
“Every year, the league gives all the franchises an opportunity to suggest new rules or modifications to rules,” Hunt said. “Periodically, our football staff has something they think would enhance the game. That was the case this year.”
The first rules change the Chiefs proposed — which was announced last week — is to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a first down, while the second is to prohibit quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.
Hunt said he asked general manager John Dorsey and coach Andy Reid a few months ago if they had anything they wanted to suggest this year.
“They talked it over and they came back with these two that they felt strongest about, and they explained their thoughts on it to me and it makes a lot of sense,” Hunt said. “So we’ve got it in there; let’s see how they fare.”
Hunt said all the proposed rules modifications will be discussed on Tuesday but not voted on until Wednesday, so that everybody can have a day or so to process what they’ve heard.
“Sometimes there will be modifications that are made to the suggestions based on the input they receive tomorrow morning, and then once they’re done, we’ll come back and vote on it (Wednesday),” Hunt said.
In all, some 19 rules proposals will be discussed at the owners’ meetings, which conclude Wednesday. Of those, 10 were proposed by teams while the remaining nine were proposed by the NFL’s competition committee.
Terez A. Paylor: 816-234-4489, @TerezPaylor. Download Red Zone Extra, The Star’s Chiefs app.
This story was originally published March 21, 2016 at 4:45 PM with the headline "Clark Hunt eager to see how Chiefs’ proposed rule changes play out."