Highlights from Monday’s day in Chiefs camp in St. Joseph, along with an injury report and Tuesday’s schedule:
After three straight sessions in pads, Chiefs coach Andy Reid cut practice back an hour and allowed players to practice in shells and helmets. … The Chiefs worked a ton on their deep passing game, with the defenders only giving them a token look. … During one portion of the 11-on-11 (team) period, quarterback Alex Smith completed nine of 10 passes. He also threw deep scores to Chris Conley, Jamaal Charles, Frankie Hammond and Travis Kelce. … Conley, who missed more than a week of practice because of a knee strain, got most of his work with the second team. … Conley made his first catch on a comeback route near the right sideline. … Running back Charcandrick West got some first-team work. … The starting offensive line, from left to right: Eric Fisher, Ben Grubbs, Mitch Morse, Zach Fulton and Jeff Allen. This marks the third straight day this has been the starting line. Here was the second-team unit, from left to right: Donald Stephenson, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Eric Kush, Paul Fanaika and Jarrod Pughsley. … New offensive lineman Anthony Dima lined up at right guard with the third team.
There wasn’t much defense played because of the light nature of the practice. Safety Ron Parker made a nice deflection during the 11-on-11 period. … Jamell Fleming did a good job jumping a short route near the sideline for a pass breakup. … Mike Catapano and Allen Bailey were the starting interior linemen in the nickel formation, though Mike DeVito rotated in. … Fleming, Marcus Peters and Phillip Gaines were the corners in the nickel. … cornerback Steven Nelson also worked with the first team at nickel. So did safeties Daniel Sorensen, Eric Berry and Tyvon Branch.
▪ Receiver Chris Conley (knee) and Ryan Taylor (quad) returned to practice Monday.
▪ Outside linebacker Dee Ford missed practice for the second straight day because of a concussion.
▪ Defensive lineman Nick Williams (concussion) and offensive lineman Garrett Frye (knee) all missed practice for the third straight day.
▪ Receiver Jeret Smith missed his fifth straight practice because of a hamstring injury. Receiver Junior Hemingway missed his seventh straight practice because of a hip sprain. While Smith was present at practice, Hemingway was not.
▪ Quarterback Tyler Bray (torn ACL) did not practice for the 12th straight day. He is on the non-football injury list but again observed practice from the side.
▪ Nose tackle Dontari Poe (recovering from back surgery) and tight end Demetrius Harris (recovering from foot surgery) each missed practice for the ninth straight time. Both are on the PUP list, but Harris could be seen rehabbing on the sideline.
▪ Inside linebacker James-Michael Johnson missed his ninth straight practice with a calf strain. He remains on the physically unable to perform list.
Practice begins at 8:15 a.m.
79 ― The percentage of humidity at one point during Monday’s practice. The temperature was a warm 87 degrees.