Chiefs

Chiefs free-agency tracker: KC adds 49ers LT, RB as 3 veterans depart | Reports

8:07 p.m. update

The Kansas City Chiefs have retained one of their longest-tenured players.

Long-snapper James Winchester will be back with the team on a one-year deal, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. The deal, Rapoport says, will be for $1.65 million guaranteed.

Winchester, 35, will be entering his 11th season with KC. The Oklahoma product has played in 164 regular-season games for the Chiefs over the last 10 seasons while winning three Super Bowl rings.

5:49 p.m. update

The Chiefs are losing a veteran defensive lineman to a front office that knows a lot about him.

Tershawn “Turk” Wharton has agreed to a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers, NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports. Last year, the Panthers hired former Chiefs assistant general manager Brandt Tilis as executive vice president of football operations.

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo says the contract will be for $54 million, with $30 million of that guaranteed.

It’s a huge payday for the 26-year-old Wharton, who spent five years in KC after joining the team as an undrafted free agent out of Missouri S&T following the 2020 NFL Draft.

Wharton’s best year with the Chiefs was in 2024 — and two full years removed from tearing his ACL in 2022. He had 6 1/2 sacks last regular season and two more in the playoffs, providing consistent interior pressure while working alongside teammate Chris Jones.

KC originally brought Wharton back last offseason on a one-year, $2.75 million guaranteed deal. He was worth that and more, elevating his status enough that he ranked 81st on Pro Football Focus’ top free agents list.

Coincidentally, Wharton received attention for catching a falling boy from the stands last season during the Chiefs’ road game at Carolina.

The Chiefs still have some roster holes to fill on the defensive line, as their only active-roster players under contract for next season are Jones, George Karlaftis, Mike Danna and Felix Anudike-Uzomah.

5:13 p.m. update

The Chiefs won’t be bringing back one of their veteran receivers.

Justin Watson, who was with KC the last three seasons, has agreed to a new contract with the Houston Texans, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

Watson, 28, was a role player for the Chiefs’ offense, capable of playing multiple receiver positions. He had 22 catches for 289 yards and two touchdowns last season but was held without a reception in the playoffs.

Initially, Watson signed a one-year deal with KC in 2022 before agreeing to a two-year extension in April 2023.

2:31 p.m. update

The Chiefs saw a running back go elsewhere in free agency Monday afternoon after they agreed to terms with Elijah Mitchell earlier in the day.

Samaje Perine, who served as the Chiefs’ third-down back last season, will be joining the Cincinnati Bengals on a two-year deal, according to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. The new contract will be worth up to $3.8 million, Garafolo reported.

This will be the 29-year-old Perine’s third stint with the Bengals. He spent parts of four seasons with Cincinnati between 2019 and 2023.

Perine caught the game-sealing pass for KC in the team’s home AFC Championship victory against the Buffalo Bills this past season. The veteran running back signed with the Chiefs after being released by the Denver Broncos in August.

11:43 a.m. update

The Chiefs have a new addition to their backfield.

KC will be bringing in veteran running back Elijah Mitchell from the San Francisco 49ers, according to NFL insider Jordan Schultz.

Mitchell’s deal, via Schultz, will be worth up to $3.5 million.

The Chiefs needed running back depth, given their roster situation. Isiah Pacheco will be in the last year of his rookie contract, though he also didn’t show the same explosiveness late last season after dealing with ankle and rib injuries. KC also has fullback/running back Carson Steele coming back following his rookie season.

Kareem Hunt and Perine both enter free agency this offseason, with Perine agreeing to terms with the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday.

Mitchell, 26, missed the entire 2024 season with a hamstring injury. He had 75 rushes for 281 yards with two touchdowns in 11 games for the 49ers in 2023. San Francisco initially selected him in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL Draft out of Louisiana.

11:28 a.m. update

The Chiefs didn’t hesitate to address their weakness at left tackle.

KC has agreed to a contract with former 49ers left tackle Jaylon Moore, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The deal, according to Schefter, is two years for $30 million, with $21.24 million guaranteed at signing.

Moore was ranked 155th on Pro Football Focus’ top free agents list. The 27-year-old started five games for the 49ers last season while filling in for injured left tackle Trent Williams.

San Francisco selected Moore in the fifth round of the 2021 Draft. He played in college at Western Michigan, which is the same school as current Chiefs Mike Caliendo and Skyy Moore.

The NFL’s open negotiation period started at 11 a.m. Central on Monday. Unrestricted free agents can officially sign with new teams at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

KC also was plenty active in the week leading up to free agency.

That included placing a franchise tag on right guard Trey Smith, who will play on a one-year, $23.4 million contract this season. The Chiefs also hope to keep Smith long-term with an extension; per NFL rules, both sides have until July 15 to negotiate a new deal.

The Chiefs have brought back others, as well.

Linebacker Nick Bolton reportedly agreed to a three-year extension for $45 million on Sunday, with $30 million guaranteed.

KC also locked in receiver Hollywood Brown to a one-year deal. With $6.5 million in guaranteed money, his contract can reach up to $11 million with incentives.

Last week, the Chiefs tendered contracts to exclusive rights free agents in offensive guard Mike Caliendo and punter Matt Araiza. Both will receive one-year deals at the NFL veteran minimum salaries based on their accrued years of service.

This story was originally published March 10, 2025 at 11:28 AM.

Jesse Newell
The Kansas City Star
Jesse Newell covered the Chiefs for The Star until August 2025. He won an EPPY for best sports blog and previously was named top beat writer in his circulation by AP’s Sports Editors. His interest in sports analytics comes from his math teacher father, who handed out rulers to Trick-or-Treaters each year.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER