Recently signed Chiefs safety Steve Gregory announces retirement
Recently-signed Chiefs safety Steve Gregory announced his retirement via Twitter on Saturday.
“It is with tremendous respect, appreciation, and admiration for the game of football that I’ve decided to announce my retirement effective immediately,” Gregory said in a statement released by his agent, David Canter.
Gregory, 31, has recorded 357 tackles in 111 career games over eight NFL seasons with the Chargers and Patriots. Last season, he made 79 tackles and zero interceptions in 14 games, including 11 starts, with the Patriots.
Gregory had been set to sign with another team on Aug. 1 when the Chiefs called to express their interest. At the time, Canter said the fit — and the Chiefs’ need at the position, with the recent injury to Sanders Commings — was too good for Gregory to pass up.
Gregory has spent most of his time with the third team during training camp, though he logged three tackles in 27 defensive snaps Thursday against the Bengals.
With his departure, the Chiefs currently have five healthy safeties on the roster: Eric Berry, Husain Abdullah, Daniel Sorensen, Malcolm Bronson and Jerron McMillian.
To reach Terez A. Paylor, call 816-234-4489 or send email to tpaylor@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter.com/TerezPaylor.
This story was originally published August 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM with the headline "Recently signed Chiefs safety Steve Gregory announces retirement."