Gates will open to some fans for one of Kansas Speedway’s NASCAR races in October
Fans will return to the stands at Kansas Speedway for the NASCAR Hollywood Casino 400 on Oct. 18.
Attendance up to 10,000 will be allowed for the Cup Series playoff round-of-eight race, track president Pat Warren said.
There are other racing events at the track that weekend, starting on Oct. 16. But fans will only be allowed in for the Hollywood Casino 400.
Fans were not permitted at any of the races at the track in July due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
But since then, sports teams in the region have opened their gates to fans, including the Chiefs, Sporting KC and Kansas State football.
Fans will be screened before entering the facility and be asked to wear face coverings at all times. Tailgating and coolers won’t be permitted.
Those who have purchased tickets to the Oct. 18 race may be moved to a new location to ensure social distancing.
“At Kansas Speedway we have a tradition of fantastic playoff racing, and what better treat for our fans than to have them witness that in person,” Warren said in a statement. “I know the drivers feed off the excitement of having the fans on hand, and we are enthusiastic for the opportunity to welcome them back to the track, offering a safe, healthy environment for everyone.”