Roster decision looms as Mike Moustakas returns from disabled list
Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas reunited with his teammates on Friday afternoon here at U.S. Cellular Field, one day before his official return from the 15-day disabled list.
Manager Ned Yost said Moustakas would be activated Saturday before the Royals face the White Sox in the second game of a three-game series. The club must make a corresponding roster move to create a spot for Moustakas. On Friday, Yost remained noncommittal about the decision, but all signs point to infielder Cheslor Cuthbert returning to Class AAA Omaha after appearing in 13 games at third base in place of Moustakas.
“He’s been playing really good for us,” Yost said of Cuthbert. “But you can only keep 25 guys on your team. We’ll have to decide which guy we can afford to send out.”
Moustakas finished 2 for 8 with three strikeouts in a two-game rehab stint at Class AA Northwest Arkansas. Yost called the short stay a “tester” for Moustakas, who went on the disabled list in early May with a sesamoid fracture in his left thumb. He was batting .258 with seven homers before going on the disabled list.
The roster decision will come three days after the Royals elected to summon utility man Whit Merrifield from Omaha and option infielder Christian Colon back to the minors. For now, the Royals are committed to carrying 13 pitchers on their 25-man roster while operating with a three-man bench. The short bench, Yost said, forced the decision to add Merrifield, who can play the outfield in addition to all four infield spots. It could also force the Royals to send Cuthbert back to Omaha, where he could see time at second base in addition to his usual reps at third. Cuthbert entered Friday batting .255 with a .271 on-base percentage in 12 games.
The Royals are unlikely to part with a pitcher, and Yost would like to use Merrifield as a secondary option at second base to keep Infante fresh at second base. Earlier this month, Yost outlined a plan to give Infante two to three days off per week. That will likely continue, even with Colon now back at Omaha.
“It just depends,” Yost said. “It’s kind of like the right-field situation; I’m waiting for somebody to get hot there. Omar has been playing better since we’ve been giving him these little breaks.”
Merrifield could play all over
After making his major-league debut on Wednesday, Whit Merrifield could log playing time in multiple spots in the coming days and weeks. A utility man with experience in the infield and outfield in the minor leagues, Merrifield is slated to draw starts at second base and could see time in the outfield.
“We’ll play him at second,” Yost said. “We’ll play him in the outfield. If I pinch run for anybody, now I got it covered. I can put him in the outfield, I can put him in the infield. If I pinch run for Moose, I can put him at third. If I can pinch run for (Alex Gordon), he can play left.”
The addition of Merrifield meant a demotion for infielder Christian Colon, who was batting .250 with two extra-base hits in 16 games.
“We got to carry 13 pitchers right now,” Yost said. “It kind of hamstrung us on stuff we could do without the extra player.”
Medlen starts playing catch again
Right-handed pitcher Kris Medlen played catch on Friday for the first time since going on the disabled list with right rotator cuff inflammation. Medlen made 30 throws while stretching out to 70 feet. He offered a solid review after the workout.
“It felt awesome,” he said.
Medlen was joined by right-hander Chris Young, who is on the disabled list with a right forearm strain and began throwing earlier this week. Young is eligible to return from the disabled list on Wednesday, while Medlen can come back one day later.
This story was originally published May 20, 2016 at 8:23 PM with the headline "Roster decision looms as Mike Moustakas returns from disabled list."