Royals

Royals’ Ned Yost said club has discussed starting season with four-man rotation

Because of a scheduling quirk, manager Ned Yost said the Royals may start the season with a four-man rotation.
Because of a scheduling quirk, manager Ned Yost said the Royals may start the season with a four-man rotation. jsleezer@kcstar.com

In the final weeks before opening day, the Royals must finalize their pitching staff and set their starting rotation. Manager Ned Yost said Tuesday that an early-season scheduling quirk could factor into the decision-making process.

The Royals’ April schedule includes three off days during the first week, including a day off following the season opener against the New York Mets on April 3 and two days off following the second game April 5. As a result, Yost said the club has had internal discussions about using a four-man rotation during the first turn through the rotation.

“It’s very possible we use four,” Yost said.

The schedule is such that the Royals could actually have their opening day starter return on regular rest for the third game of the season against Minnesota on April 8. But Yost said he didn’t wish to disrupt the rotation to that degree. If the Royals tweak anything, Yost said, it will likely be by waiting to use their fifth starter.

“You work hard to maintain and develop your command,” Yost said. “And then you get there and to have to sit 10 days? No, it (doesn’t) make no sense to me.”

The Royals’ schedule added an extra off day when the home opener was moved from Monday afternoon to Sunday night, in order to accommodate a national television broadcast on ESPN. The schedule already featured two off days, a built-in contingency for inclement weather.

In addition to a four-man rotation, Yost said the club has also discussed carrying just 11 pitchers when the season begins. The schedule could reduce the need for a seventh reliever during the opening weeks of the season.

The Royals have yet to announce their opening-day starter, but it appears likely that right-handers Edinson Volquez and Yordano Ventura will headline the rotation, in some order. The Royals’ No. 3 and No. 4 starters would then debut during the first two games of the Twins series, on April 8-9, respectively. The top two starters could return, on full rest, for the following two games.

In that scenario, the Royals would not need to use their fifth starter until April 12 at Houston, the club’s seventh game of the year.

For now, right-handers Chris Young and Kris Medlen project to fill out the rotation behind Volquez, Ventura and Ian Kennedy. But Yost has said the Royals are still evaluating other options, including right-handers Dillon Gee and Chien-Ming Wang. On Tuesday, Yost gave no indication which pitcher might be skipped during the first week.

“You just deal with it,” Yost said of the schedule. “You don’t complain about it. You don’t cry about it. You just deal with it.”

Volquez, Ventura get minors starts

Yost confirmed that Volquez would start a minor-league game Wednesday, while Ventura will toe the rubber in a minor-league game Thursday. Volquez is returning to the mound after a bout of arm fatigue, while Ventura missed a starter while battling the flu.

Ohlendorf set to throw Wednesday

As of Tuesday evening, the name of reliever Ross Ohlendorf appeared on a list of pitchers scheduled to throw Wednesday against the Cleveland Indians in Goodyear. Earlier in the afternoon, he sat at his locker in the clubhouse. He joined the team on the field for an afternoon workout. His future, for the moment, was uncertain.

On Monday, Ohlendorf exercised an opt-out clause in his minor-league deal. The Royals had a 48-hour window to add him to their 40-man roster or let him walk. When the team took the field against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night, no decision had been announced. Yost indicated that a decision was expected following the game.

Ohlendorf, 33, signed with the Royals this offseason after finishing last season with the Texas Rangers. After a rough start to the spring, he has settled into a reliable relief arm in recent weeks. His minor-league contract featured an opt-out clause beginning March 20.

Ohlendorf allowed five runs in two innings in his first two appearances. He’s allowed just one earned run in his last seven innings, including five scoreless appearances.

The Royals already added Gee to the 40-man roster this spring, placing left-hander Mike Minor on the 60-day disabled list. Adding Ohlendorf to the roster would require a corresponding move to free up a spot.

This story was originally published March 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM with the headline "Royals’ Ned Yost said club has discussed starting season with four-man rotation."

Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER