Royals’ Alcides Escobar to miss start of spring training after uncle dies
Shortstop Alcides Escobar was expected to miss the opening days of full-squad workouts after his uncle died at home in Venezuela, Ned Yost said Tuesday morning.
Escobar had already flown to the United States and was prepared to join his teammates Tuesday at the Royals’ complex here in Surprise, Ariz. As of Tuesday morning, Yost said Escobar was attempting to catch a flight back home to be with his family. The uncle was the brother of Escobar’s mother, Yost said.
“He was really close with his uncle,” Yost said.
Escobar was expected to return to camp by Friday or Saturday, Yost said. The rest of the Royals’ position players were accounted for as the club began its first full-squad workout on Tuesday morning. After officially reporting to camp on Monday, 63 players took the field Tuesday as the club opened its first full day of spring training.
Rustin Dodd: 816-234-4937, @rustindodd
This story was originally published February 23, 2016 at 10:33 AM with the headline "Royals’ Alcides Escobar to miss start of spring training after uncle dies."