Royals

Salvador Perez helped KC Royals win series opener vs. White Sox. So did a rookie

The Kansas City Royals know their path to the postseason is littered with obstacles. On Friday, the club took its next step against a familiar foe.

The Royals welcomed the Chicago White Sox to Kauffman Stadium for a three-game series with added implications. It was an opportunity to take care of business at home against an American League Central rival.

Behind rookie starter Noah Cameron, the Royals (61-61) secured a 3-1 win as they returned to .500 on the season.

Cameron allowed one earned run in 5 ⅓ innings. He scattered six hits while registering two strikeouts and two walks. The White Sox had a baserunner in five of the six innings but Cameron found a way to avoid damage.

“I think, obviously, the results were good, but I think it’s one of those days I didn’t have my best stuff at all,” Cameron said. “Kind of just leaving stuff over the plate and got bailed out.”

White Sox designated hitter Lenyn Sosa belted a solo home run in the fourth inning. However, Cameron shook off the blemish and handed things over to the Royals’ bullpen.

Royals reliever John Schreiber induced a double play to help Cameron escape as the pitcher of record. He retired Sosa in the sixth inning as the Royals maintained a 2-1 lead.

“I think that was the big thing right there,” Royals captain Salvador Perez said. “Soft line drive for the double play. It’s amazing to get out of that inning.”

From there, KC relied on its superstars to lead the way. Perez hit his 22nd home run of the season in the fourth inning. Perez finished 2-for-3. He was one of three players with an RBI in the victory.

“That ball was off the plate,” Royals manager Matt Quatraro said. “He just has exceptional strength to be able to hit that ball out.”

The Royals now sit at 3 ½ games behind the New York Yankees for the third and final AL Wild Card spot. The Yankees (64-57) are playing the St. Louis Cardinals this weekend at Busch Stadium.

Matt Quatraro ejected in 5th inning

Quatraro was ejected from Friday’s game in the fifth inning.

Quatraro was tossed after arguing with second base umpire Tom Hanahan. He stormed out of the Royals’ dugout to address Hanahan after outfielder Kyle Isbel was called out on a stolen base attempt.

Quatraro argued White Sox shortstop Colston Montgomery had blocked Isbel’s path. The play is, by rule, a judgment call and not subject to replay.

It was Quatraro’s second ejection this season.

What’s next: The Royals continue their three-game series against the White Sox on Saturday night as Michael Lorenzen returns off the 15-day injured list. Lorenzen was sidelined due to a left oblique strain on July 14.

This story was originally published August 15, 2025 at 9:46 PM.

Related Stories from Kansas City Star
Jaylon Thompson
The Kansas City Star
Jaylon Thompson covers the Royals for The Kansas City Star. He previously covered the 2021 World Series and the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Jaylon is a proud alumnus of the University of Georgia.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER