Royals

‘It’s a joke’: Royals voice frustration after replay review halts comeback vs. Mets

Kansas City Royals third baseman Jonathan India referred to it as a joke.

His teammate Bobby Witt Jr. couldn’t believe his eyes. Something didn’t sit right with him as he stood on second base.

It happened again.

In the eighth inning of Saturday’s 3-1 loss to the New York Mets, the Royals drew the short end of an official replay review. It was the second time in consecutive days that a baserunner was called out.

Royals speedster Tyler Tolbert was the subject of Friday’s call. He attempted to steal second base and appeared to have made it safely. However, the Mets challenged the call and replay review showed his body had slid off the bag.

An unfortunate call went against the Royals. Less than 24 hours later, the Royals were in the same situation.

This time, Witt tried to steal second base in the eighth inning. Once again, he initially made it safely. But the Mets challenged and it was determined he also slid off the bag.

The two calls were overturned by replay review. And both cost the Royals in a major way.

“The rule is clear and convincing,” Witt said after the game. “And I didn’t see anything clear and convincing, nor did any of the umpires out there or did anyone in our dugout.”

The Royals were clearly frustrated by the call. They trailed 2-1 in the eighth as Witt represented the tying run. He got aboard with a walk and tried to get in scoring position.

Different replay angles showed Witt clearly beating the baseball. However, it was ruled he didn’t stay on the bag as his momentum carried him past second base.

Much to the chagrin of Royals manager Matt Quatraro and a crowd of 24,620 booing fans that attended Saturday’s game at Kauffman Stadium.

“He beat it there clearly,” Quatraro said. “Obviously, that part wasn’t in dispute. Those guys do a good job of keeping the tag on. I can see why they overturned yesterday. I don’t see why they overturned today.”

India was more blunt. He felt the overturned call was a detriment to the Royals as they attempted to get back in the game.

“It was a joke and I think even yesterday’s was a joke,” India said. “I don’t think that is right and I think he was safe. There’s not enough evidence to overturn that.”

The Royals (46-50) dropped the weekend series to the Mets. On Sunday, they will attempt to salvage a final win before the All-Star break.

Yet the replay review still stings.

“That’s their rule and we are, I guess, gonna go by it,” Witt said. “But if they aren’t going to go by it then I don’t know.”

Jaylon Thompson
The Kansas City Star
Jaylon Thompson covers the Royals for The Kansas City Star. He previously covered the 2021 World Series and the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Jaylon is a proud alumnus of the University of Georgia.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER